VOGONS

First post, by oldwindohsmedosbocks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got Windows 95 working on DOSBox! 😎 ----however there's something I have to tell you I need help with.
I have a Windows 98 iso image and I don't know how to boot it as an image (if you know what I mean) And I don't want to download any software to convert the iso image to an img file. Please help. (yes, I did get windows 95 working though 😀)

Reply 1 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why don't you just do the same thing you did to get Windows 95 working?

In theory, if you are using the latest version of ykhwong's SVN build of DOSBox, you can mount an ISO image using IMGMOUNT and boot it using "boot -l x", where "x" is whatever drive letter you've mounted the ISO image on. However, CD-ROM emulation is still new and I doubt that will work.

There is no software to directly "convert" an ISO image to an IMG, or at least none that I've heard of. You have to access the IMG image with a utility such as ImDisk or DiskExplorer and copy all the files from the ISO image to the IMG image.

If you really don't want to copy the files to your IMG image, then you can boot a Windows 98 boot floppy after mounting it with imgmount (using "boot -l x", as above). See for instance [tutor] how to install windows 98se on dosbox .

Reply 2 of 15, by oldwindohsmedosbocks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hold on; I typed
"imgmount a: c:w98.iso -t iso"
then I typed
"c:"
then typed
"setup"
it was routine checking DOSBox.

Is this a sign of me almost getting it done?
I waited 1 minutes and it stayed like that. Am I being too impatient?
But Setup seemed to launch. ??

Reply 4 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oldwindohsmedosbocks wrote:
Hold on; I typed "imgmount a: c:w98.iso -t iso" then I typed "c:" then typed "setup" it was routine checking DOSBox. […]
Show full quote

Hold on; I typed
"imgmount a: c:w98.iso -t iso"
then I typed
"c:"
then typed
"setup"
it was routine checking DOSBox.

If you typed "C:", then you were running Setup on whatever you had mounted on drive C, and it does not matter that you mounted your ISO image on drive A.

Reply 5 of 15, by oldwindohsmedosbocks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"The system will perform a routine check."
"Press enter."
I then press enter, then 2 minutes later the message seems to stay on the screen! 😢

Reply 9 of 15, by oldwindohsmedosbocks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I couldn't find one. 🙁
But I seriously need Win98 in DOSBox! But Windows 95 seems to work. Also; my version is Windows 98 SE.

Reply 10 of 15, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Bad luck. I don't know them either as I never mess with windows.

Windows higher than 3.11 is not supported anyways.
I am sure that there are other programs far more suitable that dosbox for the windows task.
Good luck!

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 12 of 15, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try a VM instead of DOSBox. They are designed to do what you want. DOSBox is designed for DOS games.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 13 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You cannot run Windows 95 or Windows 98 in DOSBox without using IMGMOUNT and a hard drive image. If you are just mounting a folder using the "mount" command, you will get nowhere.

Did you even bother reading that other thread I linked to? I know it's kind of sparse on details, but it's mostly correct.

Instead of creating and formatting a new image, you should be able to use the empty 2GBFreeDOS image from Windows 9x DOSBox Guide (Not officially supported) . That thread is a little out of date, but some of the other details posted there also still apply.

More importantly:

oldwindohsmedosbocks wrote:

But I seriously need Win98 in DOSBox!

What exactly makes you think you "need" it?

Reply 14 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

After that Longhorn thread (a favorite OS of aspiring pretentious beta kids), i'd say he "needs" it for stupid internet bragging rights. Maybe he also planned to run Longhorn in DOSBox.

Kids these days.....

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 15 of 15, by NetPCDoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MIght want to start by making sure you are working with the latest DOSBox version?

Okay - as an old WIN9x pro ...

Sounds like you have an iso image of the WIN98SE cdrom? As previously advised - try imgmount-ing that at D (or 3?)

The setup starts by examining your "system" (personal computer) to see if it thinks your system is advanced enough to run WIN98 ...
If you haven't provided it with a proper C: drive - it will most likely hang ...

A trick that I used back in the day - to solve a lot of side issues - was to xcopy the folder containing all the *.cab files to a pre-formated empty hard disk drive,
and run the setup from inside that copied folder (from inside the destination folder?);
Note - you can place this copy a couple of levels deep in a path structure, such as C:\Windows\[WIN98Cabs or-you-name-it] - just do NOT use a default WIN9x folder name for 'you-name-it'!

I would suggest as advised above - find a suitable "empty" HDD imgmount-able file and imgmount that at C: (or 2)
If you want to do the boot method - be sure to imgmount to 2 instead of C and 3 instead of D, both with nofs flags - then boot the D image.

When I was building WIN98 systems - it always required at least 3 re-boots (close dosbox and reopen?) during the installation process ...
... with loading various drivers and OEM software - I usually ended up re-booting more than a dozen times to get everything set up properly.