Rank

Motherboard: Tyan
Processor type and speed: AMD K6/2 500
Amount and type of RAM: 128 mB
Video board w/ RAM amount and type: TNT2 Ultra 32 mB
Sound board: Creative Soundlbaster 16 PCI
Operating system: Win98SE
Game name (and version, if applicable): Ancient Art of War at Sea
Description of problem: Can't run it (see below)
Reproducibility of problem: Always
Sound mode used
Video mode (Software, OpenGL, Direct3D, or Glide, and resolution)
Version of emulator DOSBox .60
Steps already attempted to solve the problem: checked the readme and searched this forum for answers

Ancient Art of War at Sea uses a key disk system. When running the game from hard drive, I have to insert the original game disk in the floppy drive A:.

I'm using this command string if I want to run in Tandy mode and get 16 colors instead of just 4 CGA colors:
dosbox c:\Dosgames\aaws\wast.exe -c "mount a a:\ -t floppy" -conf dosbox.conf -fullscreen -machine tandy -noconsole

I've also tried the following, to just get 4 CGA colors:
dosbox c:\Dosgames\aaws\was.exe -c "mount a a:\ -t floppy" -conf dosbox.conf -fullscreen -machine auto -noconsole

When I run one of those lines, I see the floopy drive being accessed, but then 'ERROR' appears on my screen and quits.

any ideas? thanks.

baldwinwh (at) netscape (dot) net {:^>)

Reply 1 of 3, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know the specific game you're talking about, but if the game uses some specific tricks in accessing the floppydrive, it probably won't work in DOSBox.

JAL

Reply 2 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

try faking some stuff like mounting the original on b:\
mount b c:\Dosgames\aaws\ -t floppy
mount a a:\ -t floppy

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 3, by oldie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the tips. I've also found a version of the game on Underdogs that does *not* require a floppy drive, but it's only 4 colors CGA. That version runs fine in DOSBox .61. If I could figure the machine code differences, maybe I could apply them to the Tandy version so it won't need the floppy either and then I'll have 16 colors instead of just 4.

Thanks again.

baldwinwh (at) netscape (dot) net {:^>)