VOGONS

First post, by mooorrrggg!!!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all!
I cant get the d2dq2116 demo to run properly under Dosbox. Or in any other way.
If I try running it in win95/98 or whatever compability mode I get: Failed to allocate near DOS pointers-error message
If I try running the .lmp file on some Doom port it doesn't work past map23 (because there is a special exe to be used when playing the demo). The Doom port i've had the most luck with is prboom. jDoom for instance doesn't support playing old Doom-demos etc. etc.

Thats why I tried Dosbox but then there is other issues.
The playback is really slow, sound is crap and i get two screens inside the dosbox/game window. I dont have problem with two screens when just running the game.
The demo in question can be found here: http://www.planetquake.com/qdq/d2dq.html
(564 kb)

So far to get the demo started I've used Dosbox v0.61 and csdpmi (found here: http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/editors/jed/misc/csdpmi/).
With v 0.60 I get "Failed to allocate near DOS pointers" and with v 0.61 but without csdpmi I get "Load Error: get DPMI*b.zip", that's why I got csdpmi.

All this takes place in WinXP pro + sp1 on a PIII 800mhz, 192 MB RAM and GF2 32 MB.

If anyone got the demo running properly or if you have a general idea on how to then please let me know how!

Cheers
mooorrrggg!!!

Reply 1 of 4, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PIII 800 is probably too slow for Doom 2 in dosbox to be playable,(emulators are slow). Try ctrl+F12 (increasing cpu cycles) or dynamic cpu core before you give up.
For sound, select sound blaster or gravis ultrasound. If cpu cycles are too high for you processor, sound will have problems.
Cwsdpmi is known to have problems in dosbox.

Reply 2 of 4, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IIRC the Doom2 done quick demo required a source port such as legacy, boom or zdoom to run, which run perfectly well in any version of windows. So you wouldn`t need dosbox to be able to see it anyway.

Two stones, two crosses, the rest is just icing. - 7th Guest

Reply 3 of 4, by mooorrrggg!!!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys!

Tried fiddling with the cpu cycles and frameskips, no luck.

The D2DQ demo will not run past map23 on any Doom port. The reason is because there is a difference between the Doom source and Doom v 1.9 according to the txt that comes with the demo.

I guess I'll have to face up to the un-face-up-to-able and dig up some old computer somewhere.

cheers!