VOGONS

First post, by krasny2k5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all!

I have a problem. We have a very old machine to obtain hysteresis cycles from ferromagnetic materials in our laboratory at Spain. That machine came with a laptop (pentium 133Mhz, windows 95) and a ms-dos application to record data from that machine that uses LPT port.

The application runs smoothly on dosbox, but the problem is the communication over lpt port. I tried with megabox 6 and SVN Daum builds, and when it start the application the cpu usage go up to 100%, the program works, but we lost data in the process so we cant use it. I'm using Windows XP and also Linux (for Daum version), with the reallpt option. I found a article from microsoft database about high usage of cpu time with lpt port: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318273 but is there any solution to this issue?

Any idea to solution this problem? I'm considering using a virtual machine instead dosbox, but i would prefer using dosbox for simplicity. I uploaded the program to: http://krasny.net/J_meter.zip The main application is J_METER.exe, and when it starts you can see the problem because it uses lpt port.

Thanks!

p.d: sorry for my terrible English!

Reply 1 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your English is actually very good, especially in comparison to what some other people post.

Are you saying you are seeing this 100% CPU usage in both Windows XP and Linux? Because obviously the problem described in the Microsoft KB article would not apply to Linux.

Reply 2 of 5, by krasny2k5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

Thanks for your reply! Yep, i know that windows and linux are completely different, but they are showing the same behavior. When i start the J_METER.exe one core always is at 100% use (with only 3000 cycles). A screenshot below:

IUNPqbI.png

I will do several test in windows.... but if anyone can bring any ideas I would be very grateful.

Thaks!

Reply 3 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you really need to print to LPT? Can't you print to a file and then either copy that file to the printer or print it?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline