VOGONS

First post, by jbergstrom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If I just run SETUP as-is, it will first complain about JOIN.EXE and SUBST.EXE being found on my hard drive (as it should, though). After I press C to continue, DosBox will halt to error "Illegal option" if I have core=normal, or return to the "DOS" prompt if core=full or dynamic.

If I skip hardware autodetect with the parameter /I, setup will again prompt for SUBST and JOIN, and then after pressing C, quit to DOS, but DB won't crash with "Illegal option".

If I skip conflicting application detection (SETUP won't complain about S and J now) with parameter /C, setup will now advance all the way until it has copied the files, if I choose Custom Setup; then it quits with the following message:

Windows for Workgroups 3.11 could not start. Make sure that you are running MS-DOS version 3.30 or higher, and that the "files=" line in CONFIG.SYS is set to 20 or higher.

If I choose Express setup, Setup will again copy all files, but it gets jammed when it tells it is about to start Windows.

Reply 2 of 3, by jbergstrom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And I can't install Windows 3.1 either; how has it then been got to run if its screenshot has also been taken?

Has it been installed outside of Dosbox first, and then run in it, or what? If so, how can I install Windows under XP?

Reply 3 of 3, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You newbies... Just wait until next version is ready, and you might have a surprise then... 😜

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John