VOGONS

First post, by dcoll

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

recently I've had a desire to play an older game by the name of soccer kid, so I set about finding out where/how to play it.

I've downloaded it from [EDIT] no abandonware links permitted and I have the latest version of dosbox (0.74). I followed these instructions in setting it up and got a message that read:

Soccer kid cannot run with an EMM driver
Please remove EMM driver from config.sys

I couldn't find "config.sys" anywhere, and even if I could I'd have no idea how to remove the emm driver from it, so I googled. I found this discussion here on vogons. I would have asked my Question there, but it's a rather old discussion and I wasn't sure resurrecting it would help. The third last post allowed me to open the game but typing out the whole setup each time I open the game will very quickly become a chore.

I looked at this site to try to make a shortcut directly to soccer kid, however i'm unable to do so due to the emm problem.

I am unsure how to solve this problem, and thought I would ask for some advice from more experienced people.

Thanks,
Dcoll

PS: If this is in the wrong folder I apologize, I thought it would be the most appropriate place for it but am happy to be corrected.

Reply 1 of 9, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Dosbox.conf
In the [DOS] section change ems=true to ems=false - The D-fend frontend will also be useful. If that doesn't work, try XMS and UMB to false as well

And the abandonware site I looked it up on is where I got this advice.

Reply 3 of 9, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As already mentioned by Matth79, a
config -set "dos ems=off"
before running the game executable is enough for me. Of course you can always set it in your config file.

Reply 4 of 9, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For many DOS games the IP owners may not be aware or do not care that much about pirated games, but several do, especially given that they are starting to see revenue from these games again with the likes of GOG. Please don't endanger this project by continuing to help those who have stolen these games, especially after it has already been pointed out that the game is an illegal download. Just direct the user to the pirate site they got it from.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 9, by dcoll

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Matth79 wrote:

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Dosbox.conf
In the [DOS] section change ems=true to ems=false - The D-fend frontend will also be useful. If that doesn't work, try XMS and UMB to false as well

And the abandonware site I looked it up on is where I got this advice.

D-fend doesn't work, I've already tried that. As for the rest of your comment I don't understand it.

catchaserguns wrote:

This forum doesn't support abandonware. Its considered piracy. You should ask the site where you downloaded the game or get the legit copy then ask this forum.

I was not aware that abandonware was not supported, I didn't find that information anywhere in the posting rules. My apologies. I have a "legit" copy buried somewhere in the shed (probably on a 3 1/2 floppy), I just didn't really want to pull everything out to find it.

konc wrote:

As already mentioned by Matth79, a
config -set "dos ems=off"
before running the game executable is enough for me. Of course you can always set it in your config file.

As was mentioned in the original post, I am unable to find the config file.

collector wrote:

For many DOS games the IP owners may not be aware or do not care that much about pirated games, but several do, especially given that they are starting to see revenue from these games again with the likes of GOG. Please don't endanger this project by continuing to help those who have stolen these games, especially after it has already been pointed out that the game is an illegal download. Just direct the user to the pirate site they got it from.

I searched GOG, and steam for this game. I tried to find a legal way of downloading it. If GOG get this game I will buy it, but with only 15 people requesting it (one of which is me), I don't think it's overly high on their priority list.

I do agree that GOG is a brilliant website that I hope continues, I have purchased several games from them and hope to continue doing so in the future.

I apologize again if I have caused any offense and if anyone can point me towards a legal option to download this game, all the better. I was just hoping for some help from people who have been using DosBox for a lot longer then my 2 days.

Thanks,
Dcoll

Reply 7 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The readme tells you where the config file is...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you used the DOSBox installer to install DOSBox, there will be a shortcut to the DOSBox configuration file in your Start menu. (All Programs > DOSBox-0.74 > Options > DOSBox 0.74 Options.)

dcoll wrote:

D-fend doesn't work, I've already tried that.

When asking for assistance, "it doesn't work" is one of the least useful things you can possibly write.

Reply 9 of 9, by dcoll

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

If you used the DOSBox installer to install DOSBox, there will be a shortcut to the DOSBox configuration file in your Start menu. (All Programs > DOSBox-0.74 > Options > DOSBox 0.74 Options.)

dcoll wrote:

D-fend doesn't work, I've already tried that.

When asking for assistance, "it doesn't work" is one of the least useful things you can possibly write.

Thanks, That helped tremendously.

As for the doesn't work part, it appears to open then closes itself. But I don't need that anymore.

Thanks
Dcoll