VOGONS

First post, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With the recent GOG release I have finally been able to try out MT-32 support of X-Wing ('93 floppy version) for the first time. I am aware of the buffer overflow / crash issue with 1st generation MT-32s, and am using the latest DOSBox SVN build (r3871) with delaysysex set to prevent the problem.

Music and sound work, however many effects sound off to me, to where I can not imagine they are as intended. When leaving for the training missions, the shuttle flyby effects from the cutscenes sound garbled and sustain where they sound like they should have ended. Also the X-Wing's blasters sound scratchy and distorted.

I have attached a recording from leaving the concourse until entering the first training mission and firing blasters. This on W7x64.

Is this how the game should sound on an MT-32, or are there more compatibility issues with first gen units than what this build of DOSBox fixes?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Filename
    xwing.wma
    File size
    728.34 KiB
    Downloads
    111 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 14, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lucasarts tended to use the LAPC-I for their games, so that card or a CM-32L / CM-64 should work best.

This goes back to older games such as Monkey Island 2 with richer sounds playing on the latter units.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 14, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

Lucasarts tended to use the LAPC-I for their games, so that card or a CM-32L / CM-64 should work best.

Aha, makes sense. I noticed people on GOG praising the Roland music specific to the floppy version and mention the old MT-32, so that made me curious- I was only familiar with the CD version's General Midi.

I'd love to see (hear) a comparison between MT-32/GM with both floppy and CD versions on your awesome YouTube channel 😉

Reply 3 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
philscomputerlab wrote:

[...]

This goes back to older games such as Monkey Island 2 with richer sounds playing on the latter units.

does MI2 really sound different between mt-32/cm-32l ? I haven't noticed it 😲

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 14, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

[...]

does MI2 really sound different between mt-32/cm-32l ? I haven't noticed it 😲

A few sound effects sound a little different. I only noticed it by accident.

You can hook up a MT-32 (Old) and CM-32L through MIDI-THRU and listen to the sound the chef makes in the kitchen right at the start of the game. The CM-32L has a fuller sound. And I believe some of the spitting sounds are different.

Reply 5 of 14, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, to sum it up re. X-Wing: my recording is how it sounds for any MT-32 and is not caused by DOSBox or *my* specific setup, and also does not sound better on an MT-32 new? The only way to get it to sound as intended would be to use a module with the 33 extra sounds?

Reply 6 of 14, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's just a guess.

I don't have the game so I can't record it on a real MT-32 or CM-32L. I know it's on GOG.com now but the price is too much for me. I was more into Wing Commander never gotten into the Lucasarts games 😒

Reply 7 of 14, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Sounds much the same on the rev 01 MT-32 that I have, even when using an exaggerated delay on all sysex messages, so maybe the sfx have problems with first gen units that go beyond delays between sysex messages. The sfx seem more correct with MUNT using default settings.

Reply 8 of 14, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok I tried MUNT and I simply don't get any sound effect with Roland. I tried just Roland and Roland with Sound Blaster. The music plays but I can't hear any sounds when the ships fly around in the cut scenes.

EDIT: Tried it on my DOS Retro Gaming PC and here the CM-32L works fine. At one point a weird background noise kept playing over and over, but then disappeared in a different section of the game. So the whole thing seems a bit buggy.

I'm uploading a video of the intro and a bit of gameplay for comparisons.

Reply 9 of 14, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok the video ran straight into copyright issues...

Attached a recording from the CM-32L. Intro + training course.

Attachments

• Filename
    Roland CM-32L.ogg
    File size
    4.73 MiB
    Downloads
    116 downloads
    File license

Reply 10 of 14, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And here the General MIDI option played on a SC-55

Attachments

• Filename
    Roland SC-55.ogg
    File size
    3.99 MiB
    Downloads
    113 downloads
    File license

Reply 11 of 14, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

And here the General MIDI option played on a SC-55

Awesome, thanks Phil! Unfortunate (but somewhat impressive) that the midi is apparently close enough to Williams' original to get flagged for copyright 😀 At least, can't imagine someone took the time to add recordings of old DOS games to the database.

Though the sound effects sound less 'authentic' to the movie on the SC-55 they still sound pretty good, and the music quality is amazing!

The CM-32L recording basicly sounds like a bug-free version of what I am hearing on my MT-32 old, I can't pick out radically different sound effects. If you have it in reach, I would be very interested to hear if your MT-32 new can make sense of this.

Reply 12 of 14, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok here is the recording with my MT-32 (New).

Note that this is all on real hardware, Pentium 100 with Roland MPU401AT.

On the MT-32 (Old) the unit just produces a stuck note or something like that. No music at all after the Buffer Overflow message.

Attachments

• Filename
    Roland MT-32 (New).ogg
    File size
    4.43 MiB
    Downloads
    92 downloads
    File license

Reply 13 of 14, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks! Sounds pretty much identical to the CM-32L, so that confirms that there are indeed compatibility issues specific to the MT-32 old beyond the missing sounds and buffer overflow issue as ripsaw8080 mentioned? +1 for the MT-32 new I guess 😀

edit: There was someone on the GOG forums who did not notice any particular strangeness on his 1st gen MT-32 through DOSBox with delaysysex, but whether that means there are perhaps differences between rev. 0 and 1 modules (I have a rev. 1) and/or specific firmware versions, or if he's just less picky, no idea.

Reply 14 of 14, by Strife67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently got a Roland JV-30 synthesizer and decided to order an el cheapo MIDI-USB interface to try it with those old games that came with General MIDI support. I'm starting with X-Wing Collectors' CD-ROM edition (DOS, 1994) and have attached an audio recording of the whole intro and credits sequences.

The music sounds almost exactly as the SC-55 recording that was posted here, except for some cut off notes issues that might be related to the MIDI adapter I used (listen closely at 0:43, 2:05, 3:58, 4:09, and 4:27) plus an additional instrument not heard on the SC-55 (2:27 in attached recording, 2:35 in SC-55 version) which I think sounds better.

The game install settings were General MIDI for music and Sound Blaster for sound effects, however, since I just recorded the line in signal you will only hear the music which decreases in volume every time a sound or voice is played.

Next time I will record some of the in-game music and then try the "Roland" game music setting while running the synthesizer in MT-32 simulation mode.

Attachments