VOGONS

First post, by sumicio

User metadata

I am sorry if this is not a question for this forum. I have been trying to run MUGEN (last msdos version) into DosBox. First time I tried to it said to me that I would need csdpmi.exe. I used it and then it said to me that: "You need a vesa driver".
My PC is a Pentium 4, 516 RAM, and graphics is Nvidia Geforce FX5200.
Could anybody please tell me how to run MUGEN in DosBox? I have been trying everything for weeks, and I have had no success.
Thank you very much

Reply 1 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you can run it in dosbox only it's very slow (you need to edit the configfile of mugen and select a certain vesa mode)

don't bother.
mugen is game that needs more than a pentium 100 Mhz

Attachments

• mugen.png
    Filename
    mugen.png
    File size
    11.69 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    very slow and such
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 5, by Guest

User metadata

Yes, that was the first attempt I did some months ago. I edited mugen.cfg many times to change vesamode in all the ways it is possible (vesamode = 1 / linear / 2 / 3/ banked) and it was useless. May be the trouble in other reason?
What about that message in dosbox saying that I have to use a vesa driver? May be my graphic card (Nvidia Geforce Fx 5200) do not support vesa?
If this was the reason, how could I obtain a vesa driver able to work under dosbox?
Thank you for your replies.

Reply 3 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

as I pointed out you just have to select the proper vesa mode.
640x480x8 banked

in the configfile

But do NOT bother unless you are from the year 2100 you are not going to have enough cpu power to run this game at acceptable speed.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 5, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like the new Avatar Qbix, Although I thought the red looked better. Anyways, yes MUGEN is Awfully slow and unlikely to get any speed improvements in the near future.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.