VOGONS

First post, by noodleandbanter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

EDIT: Issue resolved. My controls and gamepad were leading to 'ctrl + q' presses, which I guess is a command to quit the game. Rebound ctrl and the problem went away 😊

I've got a problem with Commander Keen 4 and 6 (at least) where after just moments of gameplay DOSbox dumps back to the command prompt. I've uploaded a short video of it happening to youtube. The video is the longest it's been stable, actually. Usually dumps right after I grab the first 3 bottles. Also, I'm using xpadder to deliver keystrokes from my gamepad. Suggestions?

Details from the 'read before submitting' sticky:
1) Asus P8Z77-V PRO
2) Intel i5 3570k stock
3) 16GB DDR3 PC3-10600
4) Asus GTX670
5) Realtek audio on-board the Mobo
6) Windows 7 Professional x64
7) Commander Keen Goodbye Galaxy! and Aliens Ate My Babysitter!
8 ) See the video
9) Easily, consistently repeatable, can't make it more than a minute through a level
10) Adlib\Soundblaster mode on
11) Not sure which video mode. I haven't changed anything from stock DOSbox.
12) DOSbox 0.74
13) I've edited the config to switch 'umb=false'. Closest problem I could find on google recommended this change, but it made no difference.

Last edited by noodleandbanter on 2015-01-25, 20:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Do the Keen games also crash without using xpadder, just the keyboard?

And what kind of gamepad are you using that needs xpadder? As far as I know, DOSBox works with just about any kind of gamepad that is recognized and works in Windows 7; there's even a built-in keymapper.

(And what are you watching while playing games in DOSBox? The audio is loud and distracting 😄!!)

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 2 of 4, by Calvero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe you are pressing Ctrl + Q.

Reply 3 of 4, by noodleandbanter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

Do the Keen games also crash without using xpadder, just the keyboard?

And what kind of gamepad are you using that needs xpadder? As far as I know, DOSBox works with just about any kind of gamepad that is recognized and works in Windows 7; there's even a built-in keymapper.

(And what are you watching while playing games in DOSBox? The audio is loud and distracting 😄!!)

Hah, sorry about the audio, forgot to select my source. Was watching some anime on the side. Xpadder is way easier. I hadn't tried without yet, but I think the other commentator nailed it on the head. I'm probably pressing ctrl + q, which I guess is a hotkey to quit Keen. Rebinding and trying again.

Reply 4 of 4, by noodleandbanter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Calvero wrote:

Maybe you are pressing Ctrl + Q.

I think you're a genius. Partly why I showed my settings and controls in the video too in case they were relevant. I didn't realize ctrl + q was a command. I've rebound jump from 'ctrl' to 'h' and completed first levels on both titles. Thanks much guys. Hopefully this will be useful to someone else in the future.

https://xkcd.com/979/