VOGONS

First post, by Binleroy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey people got the game Darklands running and updated to v0.7

My question is what is the best config for this game or where do i go about finding an already made config for it ?
it seems to run fine on most settings but i would like to know what would work best for this game graphic/sound/cpu/mem wise. I am using DOSbox 0.74
Not sure if i posted in correct forum but i had no problem with the game really so posted it here. (moved it from general to here seemed more appropriate)
my system is q6600 2.4ghz quad core - 4gb mem - Nvidia geforce GTS 450 1gb - win 8.1 64 bit - mobo = P5E WS PRO (Intel® X38) - internal soundcard used.

Current config settings:
i'll mark in red the things that i am unsure about
[sdl]
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=overlay
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=highest,pause
mapperfile=mapper-SVN-Daum.map
usescancodes=true
pixelshader=none

[dosbox]
language=
machine=svga_s3
vmemsize=4
captures=capture
memsize=16
usescancodes=true
overscan=0

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=true
linewise=false
char9=false
multiscan=false
scaler=hq2x

[cpu]
core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=max
cycleup=10
cycledown=20

[mixer]
nosound=false
swapstereo=false
rate=44100
blocksize=1024
prebuffer=20

[midi]
mpu401=intelligent
mididevice=default
midiconfig=

[sblaster]
sbtype=sbpro1
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
sbmixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplemu=default
oplrate=44100

[gus]
gus=false
gusrate=44100
gusbase=240
gusirq=5
gusdma=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=44100
tandy=auto
tandyrate=44100
disney=true

[joystick]
joysticktype=auto
timed=true
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=false

[serial]
serial1=dummy
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

[dos]
xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=auto

[ipx]
ipx=false

[autoexec]
mount c c:\doswin
mount d c:\fragile -t cdrom

Thanks in advance,

Leroy.

Reply 1 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Binleroy wrote:

it seems to run fine on most settings

The vast majority of programs run just fine in DOSBox by default and there is usually nothing to be gained (and much to be lost) by messing with the settings. What exactly were you expecting to accomplish?

If you're unsure about some of the options, the readme (and the default .conf file itself) has everything you might need to know. I suppose some people do prefer different scalers, but that's a matter of personal preference.

Reply 2 of 11, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, let's see...I don't seem to have anything special in my config for Darklands.

I think the only thing set up specially for it was to enable MT-32 support. If you have the ability to use MT-32 audio, you may want to look into the method to enable SB /w MT-32 music, instead of just one or the other. It's described about midway through the Darklands FAQ...
http://www.darklands.net/faq/2.shtml

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 3 of 11, by Binleroy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First off thanks for your comments,

I was just looking to find ways to improve my experience with the game, and rather than re invent the wheel figured i would ask for the best config.
As i am sure there is people before me that have tried this.

Usually takes me a lot of trial and error to get the correct/best working settings for a game.
And for some options in the config like the output and scaler, i just try out different combinations not really knowing what the exact difference between some of them is (even with the provided description and guide's) considering performance vs prettiness.
If there is some database with tested working or recommended configs for most or all games i would love to know. 😀 At the moment i just make a config and make a backup in separate folder once i got it to work properly. All very time consuming i might add. 😢

For this game i noticed that most works nicely except for me alt+entering like 20 times exiting full screen to look at a map, tool or a copy protection word i need to enter.
The game gets very very slow after doing the alt+enter like 20 times and i still like to play it full-screen without to many restarts of DOSbox. I figured it might have something to do with not having the correct or best settings at the moment.

So i figured i would give a try asking if you guys had experience with this game on your own backed up configs, or if you knew of some kind of config database. Would save me some time in trying combinations.

Anyway thanks for all your help so far and i will defiantly look into the MT-32 support 😎 (did read that part already by the way but was and am still not sure what exactly it was for)
Edit: just tried it out sounds a lot better with that done did not even notice i missed half of the music 🤣 thx man

With kind regards,
Leroy

Reply 4 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Binleroy wrote:

Usually takes me a lot of trial and error to get the correct/best working settings for a game.

Why, exactly? Can you give an example? Usually adjusting the cycles is really all that is necessary. I guess it depends on whether you are playing an unusually wide variety of games – if you're running ancient CGA or PCjr games, then you'll probably need to change the machine line appropriately.

And for some options in the config like the output and scaler, i just try out different combinations not really knowing what the exact difference between some of them is (even with the provided description and guide's) considering performance vs prettiness.

There is not much point to changing Output. It either works or it doesn't. As for scalers, yes, there are a lot of them, and the explanations of what each of them do gets kind of technical (the Wikipedia article is informative) but again, you just pick whichever one you think looks pretty and stick with it. There's not much point in changing it for different games.

For this game i noticed that most works nicely except for me alt+entering like 20 times exiting full screen to look at a map, tool or a copy protection word i need to enter.
The game gets very very slow after doing the alt+enter like 20 times and i still like to play it full-screen without to many restarts of DOSbox.

I think you will find that every game will act that way. There's nothing magical about Darklands that would suddenly make DOSBox behave differently in that regard. I guess output=ddraw might help? (Again, if it works for Darklands, then there will be no reason at all to change it for anything else.)

Last edited by Jorpho on 2015-02-10, 05:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The defaults are best for most games. Outside of a few options that are simply personal preferences like rendering modes, you only need to alter the conf file for a given game if there is some issue that needs to be solved.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 11, by Binleroy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Why, exactly? Can you give an example? Usually adjusting the cycles is really all that is necessary. I guess it depends on whether you are playing an unusually wide variety of games – if you're running ancient CGA or PCjr games, then you'll probably need to change the machine line appropriately.

For example Imperium galactica only gives black screen on start new game with above config , as you said need to try out different machine's, output, cycles and mem settings, Tie fighter same deal. Reunion had it crash on start game all the time cant remember why anymore tho all works now. the game Z gets a sound card not responding unless you set your card to sbs16 instead of sbpro again.
All in all just takes some switching configs for different games.
Not that it bothers me much tho, i just wish there was an easy way of just copying a working config from some site and pasting it instead of trial and error way 😢
And its as you said most game's work fine with the config i use above.

So anyway thanks for your answers cleared a lot up about the scalers that i did not know and i think my questions have been answered.
With kind regards,
Leroy

Reply 7 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Binleroy wrote:

For example Imperium galactica only gives black screen on start new game with above config , as you said need to try out different machine's, output, cycles and mem settings, Tie fighter same deal.

Let me emphasize again that changing "output" will not affect the functionality of individual games – if a particular game isn't working, changing "output" will not help you. (DOSBox slowing down after pressing Alt-Enter many times is a different matter entirely.) Changing cycles is just inevitable.

Imperium Galactica apparently gives a lot of people problems, but it is a 1997 game, so it's kind of expected. Tie Fighter is surprising.

Reply 8 of 11, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure how old this game is, but check out my Space Quest III Tweak Guide video. You can apply most of the changes to most DOSBox games.

Space Quest 3 GOG.com Tech Review Tweak Guide

The game-related documents I would just print 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 9 of 11, by Binleroy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey,

Nice vid but how do i get the mt32 emu to play darklands speech ? i notice that in the intro she is not talking atm and in a youtube vid she is...
gonna try figuring that out or is it based on the sound card i have? notice i am missing lots of sounds.
did change the files like in the faq of darklands and does sound better but no speech and lightning etc yet

Cheers,
leroy

Last edited by Binleroy on 2015-02-10, 19:48. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 10 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Munt is for emulating Roland MT-32 music, not speech. As to where to find the ROMs, the legality of distributing them is a bit of a question, so best to not ask for them here. Remember, Google is your friend. If you are missing sounds, be sure that you have run the the game's setup to configure it.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 11 of 11, by Binleroy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah i see. anyway did run the setup and changed the file's like in the faq. i'll fiddle around with it some more.