VOGONS

First post, by agent_js03

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I have followed this forum:
Windows 3.1x DOSBox Guide

and have a working Windows 3.1 installed with the recommended S3 video driver and settings (version 1.70.04, 64k colors, 1024x768 res). The only problem that I am having is that when I open "control panel > desktop" it crashes dosbox. I am getting the following output:

XGA: Unhandled draw command 3
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I am wondering if anyone has experienced this or if they have had different experience. I am using DosBox 0.74 on Ubuntu. Any help is appreciated.

Reply 1 of 6, by agent_js03

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry guys, I forgot to mention, I've tried different resolutions and also different video cards. I have had luck with other video cards (as well as the default VGA) but I was really wanting the s3 to be working because it has such a high potential resolution and color depth. I had some luck with the lowest settings for s3 as well, instead of crashing it just kind of freezes for a second. 😒

If noone else is able to help, I am thinking I might go ahead and try to write a patch for this myself.

Reply 2 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Try different drivers. There are others mentioned further down the thread.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think I had this with the standard s3 drivers I have in the guide. But first of all there is a still unresolved bug with OS X and no need for them actually to be in 64k 😉

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 6, by agent_js03

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So when you say "try different drivers" do you mean try video cards other than S3, or do you mean try different S3 drivers? I have tried other cards and some of them, for example the et4000, work ok with windows 3.1, but the fonts are awful. S3 has the best performance but only has this bug. Are there other working drivers for S3?

Reply 6 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

In the guide thread a couple of different driver versions for the emulated s3 are mentioned.