VOGONS

First post, by savair

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the game star trek a final unity and I tried to get it to work on dos box. When I run it to install it and I get the main screen it says the cd/rom speed on my computer is not detected. Can someone give me some suggestions on how to fix this?

Reply 1 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Did you mount the CD correctly? (show us the command)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 15, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mount both your CD and a folder for your "C:" drive. At the command prompt change to the CD and run the install. If you still have trouble, follow the 60 second guide linked in Dominus' sig.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 8 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
savair wrote:
mount c c:/oldgames mount d c:/oldgames/startrek -t cdrom c: cd c:/startrek install […]
Show full quote

mount c c:/oldgames
mount d c:/oldgames/startrek -t cdrom
c:
cd c:/startrek
install

If you read the guide, you would not be doing this.

What you need to do is something like

d:
install

When the install program asks for a directory, use some folder like C:\STTFU. Then use the same mounts the next time you run the game.

c:
cd sttfu
[whatever the EXE is]

Reply 10 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It means the game cannot find the CD. Did you follow the steps I wrote exactly ? You shouldn't have to install the game every time, but you will have to use both "mount" lines every time you start the game.

I assume the contents of your CD-ROM are in c:\oldgames\startrek. If you don't have a CD-ROM because you downloaded this game from somewhere, then you're on your own and it is futile to try to help you.

Reply 11 of 15, by catchaserguns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you even have the original CD? Or did you download this. The problem seems to be that you are mounting your HD as D. Your CD drive is either D, E or some other letter that is not C. The Correct example should be:

Mount C C:\oldgames
Mount D D:\ -t cdrom

Reply 13 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Then please start fresh, following the 60seconds guide and using the real CD. And then when you get stuck, tell us at which step it happens.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 14 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you don't want to have the CD in your drive all the time, you can make a bin/cue image of it using imgburn, and then mount it in DOSBox using the "imgmount" command. (Copying the files from the CD to a folder is generally not a good idea.)

Reply 15 of 15, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
savair wrote:

No I copied the files from a cd to a folder

Often this does not work. Some games have CD checks. It can be a simple as a path statement that points to CD, or it can look for other things like the disk label or some obscure file on the disc that many would not copy. It might just be looking to see if MSCDEX is loaded. This is why the suggestions that you try your real CD.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers