VOGONS

First post, by OldGamersNetwork

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to master Sopwith But I'm having keyboard problems. I'm not able to turn and shoot the plane at the same time. As soon as I start shooting the plane flies strait ahead.
I'm sure this used to be no problem running on real iron. Does anyone have a solution?

Reply 2 of 10, by OldGamersNetwork

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

FYI: I have a standard HID keyboard driver and some drivers for an Xbox and Xbox360 controller.
I also had the same problem with Test Drive 1. Using a joystick it's fine but unfortunately this game as not really playable with a joystick.

Reply 3 of 10, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How many keys(and which ones) are you pressing at the same time to shoot while turning? Some keyboard start choking already at certain 3-key combinations.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 10, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well as my avatar implies I have a thing for this game. I don't recall changing direction and shooting at the same time, ever. Every key pressed was cancelling anything else already pressed. What I used to do was to repetedly and quickly press "," or "/" and space bar, not keeping them both pressed.

I don't know why you are sure that you could do that. In case you want to solve this once and for all I could just try it on real hardware and report back, although I'm fairly sure about the result.

Reply 5 of 10, by OldGamersNetwork

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My brother and I used to do this thing where we would constantly loop the plane and then try to release the bomb at the right moment to hit a building or another plane. So I'm very sure, also it works with a Joystick but unfortunately joystick control has other issues.
@dr_st only two keys at the same time.

Reply 6 of 10, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see. This got my interest so I just tried it on 2 XT's, each one with its own keyboard.
The behavior you're describing isn't there, once you press a key, eg. B or space abr, any other key already held pressed is cancelled. In a few words, it behaves exactly as in dosbox.

btw, I don't know if the video you posted is yours, but this is sopwith 2. Doesn't change anything though, behavior is still the same.
Edit: for sopwith 2, keeping a loop and firing at the same time actually works even in dosbox

Last edited by konc on 2015-05-24, 16:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 10, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I tried it in DOSBox 0.74 and SVN. I'm not certain of the version of Sopwith I'm using, it isn't labeled with a clear version number, but it is more complicated (has flocks of birds) than another one I've seen.

After setting full throttle with the X key, I hold down comma to fly in a loop, then pressing spacebar (with or without holding it down) to fire bullets does not stop the loop, and pressing B to drop a bomb does not stop the loop or stop the firing of bullets. So, I don't see the described problem in the first place. For startup options I chose S for single-player and 3 for IBM Keyboard only.

Reply 8 of 10, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ripsaw8080 wrote:

I tried it in DOSBox 0.74 and SVN. I'm not certain of the version of Sopwith I'm using, it isn't labeled with a clear version number, but it is more complicated (has flocks of birds) than another one I've seen.

After setting full throttle with the X key, I hold down comma to fly in a loop, then pressing spacebar (with or without holding it down) to fire bullets does not stop the loop, and pressing B to drop a bomb does not stop the loop or stop the firing of bullets. So, I don't see the described problem in the first place. For startup options I chose S for single-player and 3 for IBM Keyboard only.

You are also playing sopwith 2 which, after rechecking, does work the way you describe. You can keep a loop and fire at the same time.
Just to clear any confusion because also the OP showed a video of sopwith 2:

This is the starting sceen of the original sopwith (1984), having no menu music:

sopwith_000.png
Filename
sopwith_000.png
File size
1.32 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

And this is sopwith 2 (1985):

sopwith2_000.png
Filename
sopwith2_000.png
File size
1.44 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

In the first game firing while looping breaks the loop, in #2 it works.