VOGONS

First post, by TheRazor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello people on the forum.
I installed the game "An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire" by Bethesda with DOS Box 0.74.
Now when I try to play, everything works fine, until I go to talk to the first scamps on the first level. The game then crashes and gives me an error: "Code: 0 not found in C:/BATSPIRE>" After C:/BATSPIRE>, it shows a file name that changes every millisecond. Needless to say, it makes the game completely unplayable. Below, I will tell some information on my computer, and how I installed the game.

First, my computer: I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. Processor: Intel Core i7 Q 720 @1.60 ghz, RAM: 6 gb, Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470. Not sure if you needed that, but it never hurts to be sure.
To install the game, I first mounted the game in virtual drive E:/. Then, I entered DOS Box 0.74 and typed the following sequence of commands:
mount e e:/
e:/
install
Then the game installed flawlessly. I selected bypass for the video settings, did fine with the sound settings (auto detect, worked fine), and the game installed, and ran too without problems. Then I downloaded and applied patch 1.5. That's where the problems started; first, I go the whole "31 mb+ swap" dialogue that basically mistook me for not having the required amount of RAM. For this issue, I heeded this forum go'er's advice :
Getting Battlespire to work. How I did it.
I also changed the memsize in the dosbox.conf to 63. Then, I got no more error like the one I mentioned above. However, when I went to play the game, the game crashed when I tried to talk to the first scamps on the first level.

So that's the situation; if you think that you need more info to help solve my problem, then please ask, thanks in advance, and any help is appreciated!

Reply 1 of 5, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

[Thread moved to DOSBox Games/Apps. Section]

You forgot to mount a hard disk drive (C). I also advise you to mount your E: CD drive as D. Check the Guides section on the forum and read everything you find there, specially the 60 seconds guide.

Reply 3 of 5, by TheRazor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I followed all the instructions by the letter on the 60 seconds guide. Now, instead of giving me the "Code:0" error when I meet the first scamps, it gives me the "Code:0" as soon as I start the game! I also looked at the other tutorials, none were really much help for my problem...I still need help!

Reply 4 of 5, by Sheriff Hobbes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have exactly the same problem. Still no solution?
I'm also wondering about patch 1.5. Some people say their problems started only after applying the patch. Is it really necessary? Are there important bug fixes in it?

Marriage is a three ring circus:
-engagement ring
-wedding ring
-suffering

H. L. Mencken

Reply 5 of 5, by Sheriff Hobbes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an update on this. I did the following:
- Made a cue/bin image from the original CD
- Installed the game
- Applied patch 1.5
- No need to edit any config files, however I added OBJMEMSIZE 3000 to spire.cfg, just to be on the safe side
- leave the CD mounted during the game

The game doesn't crash any longer at the beginning. However: I needed to set memsize to 32 MB. Any value above 32 MB and the game will start with a blank screen!

Marriage is a three ring circus:
-engagement ring
-wedding ring
-suffering

H. L. Mencken