VOGONS

First post, by MugoUrth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Lately I've been playing old DOS games on the DOS Box, mostly the two original Elder Scrolls games: Arena and Daggerfall. I am also trying to play Might and Magic 3 and 5. (Just Might and Magic, NOT Heroes of Might and Magic.) However, while the Elder Scrolls games actually came with instructions, I have no idea how to install the two Might and Magic games that do not have instructions. Does anyone use DOS Box a lot who might be able to help me?

With the third game, when I try to install the game, after confirming that I want to install, there's a split second moment where the window tells me it installed successfully, but then it vanishes and there's no indication whether that statement is true.

With the fifth game, it looks like it's telling me to use a Floppy disk, and if I select Floppy A or B and tell it to install, it doesn't do anything. If I DON'T select a floppy, it tells me I don't have enough space. The file I downloaded came with a crack, but I'm not sure how to get it to work.

Reply 2 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you seen the 60 Seconds Guide ?

Reply 3 of 10, by MugoUrth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Have you seen the 60 Seconds Guide ?

I did, but it didn't answer all my questions about those two particular games.

collector wrote:

Ask DOSBox questions in the DOSBox forum.

Huh? I thought this was. I'm sorry.

Reply 4 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MugoUrth wrote:

Great. Please tell us exactly what steps you followed, and perhaps a solution will present itself.

MugoUrth wrote:

Huh? I thought this was. I'm sorry.

No, this is the "DOS" subforum. Someone will move this shortly.

Reply 5 of 10, by MugoUrth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
MugoUrth wrote:

Great. Please tell us exactly what steps you followed, and perhaps a solution will present itself.

With M&M3 I followed all the steps, went to "Install" but after supposedly installing the game, nothing happens.

The fifth game I am having a hard time installing since I cannot get the crack to work, OR get the game installed.

Edit: the help page tells me to install to C: from D:, but I have no idea how.

Reply 6 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MugoUrth wrote:

With M&M3 I followed all the steps

It is extremely unlikely that anyone will possibly identify what you should do differently if you aren't going to say exactly what you did.

The fifth game I am having a hard time installing since I cannot get the crack to work

If you are downloading illegal copies that require "cracks", then go get an original disc of the game and see if that works. It is pointless trying to offer support for an illegal copy that may very well be corrupted or otherwise incomplete.

I have no idea what help page you are referring to. If this is a "help page" provided by whoever was hosting the downloads, perhaps you should be talking to them.

Reply 8 of 10, by MugoUrth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
It is extremely unlikely that anyone will possibly identify what you should do differently if you aren't going to say exactly wh […]
Show full quote
MugoUrth wrote:

With M&M3 I followed all the steps

It is extremely unlikely that anyone will possibly identify what you should do differently if you aren't going to say exactly what you did.

The fifth game I am having a hard time installing since I cannot get the crack to work

If you are downloading illegal copies that require "cracks", then go get an original disc of the game and see if that works. It is pointless trying to offer support for an illegal copy that may very well be corrupted or otherwise incomplete.

I have no idea what help page you are referring to. If this is a "help page" provided by whoever was hosting the downloads, perhaps you should be talking to them.

I'm doing the best I can in that regard. I am not good at explaining things like this.

Just for the record, both of them were downloaded from a random site. It might help if I showed you the sites I got them off of. ...Unless that's wrong to have downloaded them. It might be a lot harder with these two games than the two Elder Scrolls games since the Elder Scrolls games can legally be downloaded for free, but the M&M games must be bought or downloaded from an "Abandonwear site."

It was the help page provided in this very topic. The 60 Second Guide Jorpho mentioned.

Reply 9 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

...or you can do the nice thing and get the M&M 6-pack from GoG: http://www.gog.com/game/might_and_magic_6_limited_edition
You will get the 6 first games, preconfigured with nice shortcuts, scanned manuals, reference cards, clue books... it will just provide a better package if you are serious about playing the games

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

We do not and cannot support abandonware. Something you agreed on when you registered here.
Locking this thread...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper