VOGONS

First post, by Kyragem88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm labeling this under Kyrandia 2 because it is the only game where I seem to experience this issue.

There are certain points where the adlib/sound blaster music goes out of sync, resulting in a jumbled mess of music. I have tried changing both the sound blaster settings and the game speed setting, but nothing I do seems to work. I did diffuse the problem somewhat by changing the sound option from "sound blaster pro" to "sound blaster" under the game's setup program, but even then the problem did occur at a later point during the song. The most troublesome song seems to be the "Morningmist Valley" theme in level 2, which is a fast song with many rapid note changes. It sounds as though the card is stumbling over a few notes, then all the "instruments" are playing out of sync.

If I start the level and immediately go to the options menu, and just let the song play through with no other activity occurring, it seems to be fine. It's whenever gameplay mechanics (scene changes, digitized samples) come into play that the issue will start. Increasing or decreasing the cycles doesn't seem to affect it one way or another.

I run DOSBox through D-Fend Reloaded. Has anyone else experienced an issue such as this? If so, are there any particular settings regarding either sound or emulation setup that could be adjusted? I just need to figure out what area might be causing it. Once again, no other game I've experienced seems to have this issue with all the standard settings applied.

Reply 1 of 9, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure if this is helpful, but I have noticed weird slowing down issues with the midi music in some games when having fulldouble=true in the dosbox options. Setting it to fulldouble=false usually solves this problem, so you might want to troubleshoot this.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 3 of 9, by Kyragem88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, not at all. It plays back fine in ScummVM. For a standard playthrough I use that, but I'm using DOSBox for recording purposes, and the music records out-of-sync as well. If possible, I'd like to find a solution. I will look into that fulldouble option, MMaximus.

Reply 5 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Dosbox questions please in the DOSBox forums...*moved*

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Floppy or cdrom release? For this game I suggest default DOSBox settings except cycles=6000, cputype=386, ems=false. The earliest floppy version (1.00C) is the one that really needs cputype=386, but it won't hurt later versions. You might want to apply the version 1.40 patch in any case. The game version number is displayed in the lower right corner of the options menu.

Reply 8 of 9, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kyragem88 wrote:

The most troublesome song seems to be the "Morningmist Valley" theme in level 2, which is a fast song with many rapid note changes.

Game's ver 1.40. Music works good at screen near the haystack. SB Pro setting in the game. DOSBox 0.74 with standard settings, besides:
core=normal
cputype=486_slow
cycles=30000

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide