VOGONS

First post, by Bartjaah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I've made a topic about this before (about one of these two games), about Barbie (coloring game) and Billy Bat (a Dutch educational game).
I'm trying to get both of these games running in DosBox without succes, but my other topic got closed (a while ago) and someone else who had the same problem a few years ago, his topic got closed two because someone is accusing me of promoting warez/illegal stuff, and topic bumping which I'm not intending too. I just want to solve this problem together.

Mods; don't be afraid I'm just talking about finding solutions, I'm not doing anything wrong and am not planning to.

And I'm stuck in a loop, here's why:
- I can't share a zip achive or link with you guys containing the games I got problems with because that's considered warez.
- I can't talk about this in old threats because mods close them because they accuse me of bumping when I just want this solved.
- Mod's say I need to make contact with the person I got the game from, but I don't think that the old drawer where I found these old floppy's in will help me get the games running.

How can we fix these games? It's just for the nostalgia, that's it man.

I can't find anything online about the games I'm talking about, Billy Bat, nor the Barbie Colouring game, so perhaps we can do this some other way or discussing on another platform, so consider this my way reaching out to you guys, without trying to down-talk Vogons or try to disobay the rules. I think this is my best chance getting them to run. We could switch e-mail adresses, skype's, IM's whatever... 😉

Bart.

Reply 1 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The problem is not only promoting warez.
This forum does not help with pirated software, because Dosbox doesn't want to be associated with illegal stuff *AND* a lot of times the pirated software was broken when it was illegally copied.
So, no. We cannot help you here. Sorry.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

So what is your problem with Billy Bat?
Mount the floppy, mount a c drive, change to a:\, game.exe or installor setup...

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 13, by Bartjaah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It won't run, after running it directly shuts down.
The installer say's I have to enter the original floppy disc (which this is a 1:1 copy of)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxIfwZyMS0Q&feature=youtu.be

Reply 7 of 13, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The installer might be relying on copy protection like weak bits on the floppy, and if you make a copy the weak bits disappear. You might have to install it on a real DOS machine and see if you can move it over to DOSBox afterwards.

Reply 8 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Use the real floppy and use the "-t floppy" switch on the mount command.
Alternatively make a floppy image and use the imgmount command

Reply 10 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Did you use -t floppy?

Reply 11 of 13, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Less likely, but it could be looking for a disk label. Also, this should be in the DOSBox forum since the OP is trying to run it in DOSBox.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 13 of 13, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's also that weird directory name you see in the video at 0:28 (AXΔNFΔZZ).
Maybe those Δ characters should be something else. If that directory contains some game data the installer can't find it because the path is not found (same thing happens with scandinavian characters ö,ä,å in DOSBox).

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42