VOGONS

First post, by epoxxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a delicate problem.

I have a LOT of 4:3 games that I'd like to play on a huge ( well, 42" ) TV. Is there any good solution where I can KEEP the correct AR, and NOT crop any of the game-screen?
The fast answer is: "Yes, you'll get black borders on each side of the 4:3 screen".

BUT! ( haha.....but.....buuuut.... BANANAA! (minions) )

I want to prevent burn-in. ( Between the black area and the 4:3 gamescreen ).
Can you start any animation etc. around the gamescreen?
Can the 4:3 gamescreen be moved 1px every 3rd second to the left until it reaches far left, and then go back to the far right?

ANY advice is helpful. My last resort is to use a huge and noisy projector and totally darken the room.

Reply 1 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting problem.

You likely have already tried this, but check out WSGF website. It has instructions for modifying many old games to support widescreen resolutions. A lot of games are covered, so this might work for you.

Another thought would be playing in window mode, with the desktop in the background. Have wallpapers cycle through.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 9, by epoxxy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Second tips is probably better for me than first one. I have 3500 dos games 😉

Reply 3 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Too easy then, just run DOSBox in window mode!

Reply 4 of 9, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Too easy then, just run DOSBox in window mode!

Wouldn't that create a frame around the window, which could then burn into the plasma? Provided the window stays motionless...

... Borderless windowed gaming maybe?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 9, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes or use window snap every few minutes 😀

Reply 6 of 9, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Autohotkey has a feature to move any visible window to arbitary coordinates (WinMove),
properly scripted autohotkey could constantly move such windows automatically.

-fffuuu

Reply 8 of 9, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All of it sounds like too much hassle to have to constantly think about your usage habits for the benefit of your technology, instead of vice versa.

The only real solutions seem to be:
1) Throw the crappy plasma into the trash and buy a normal LCD TV.
2) Stop worrying about burn-in and just play. If at some point the burn-in becomes unbearable, go to step (1).

😁

Or just use the plasma for what it's good for - namely television / movies, and use a different screen for computer work/play.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 9 of 9, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you start any animation etc. around the gamescreen?
Can the 4:3 gamescreen be moved 1px every 3rd second to the left until it reaches far left, and then go back to the far right?

Well, DOSBox is an open-source project, so yes, it's certainly possible to implement such features, if you find a developer willing to implement it - and perhaps pay him some money...