VOGONS

First post, by swapjim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm unable to run some of the old Doom games under FreeBSD. So far, I've tried Plutonia (version 1.9, part of Final Doom), Ultimate Doom (version 1.9), Doom II (versions 1.7 and 1.9).

When I try to run the exe of the game, I see this message in the console:

DOSBox switched to max cycles, because of the setting: cycles=auto. If the game runs too fast try a fixed cycles amount in DOSBox's options.

and nothing more.

In one of my attempts (I think it was in Doom II) I got this message:

DOSBox switched to max cycles, because of the setting: cycles=auto. If the game runs too fast try a fixed cycles amount in DOSBox's options.

Exit to error: INT:Gate Selector points to illegal descriptor with type 0

But I can't replicate that error again.

I'm running these games with the default config. The Doom setup.exe program runs fine.

This is all really strange because I can run fine all these games in DOSBox under Windows 7 64-bit.

Some information on the FreeBSD system. It runs 10.2-RELEASE-p13. 'uname -a' gives:

FreeBSD freebsd 10.2-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE-p9 #0: Thu Jan 14 01:32:46 UTC 2016     root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

I've installed DOSBox from pkg, and with a 'pkg info dosbox' I can see the compile flags:

Options        :
DEBUGGER_ENABLE: off
DEBUGGER_HEAVY : off
Shared Libs required:
libSDL_net-1.2.so.0
libSDL_sound-1.0.so.1
libpng16.so.16
libGL.so.1
libSDL-1.2.so.0
libX11.so.6
Annotations :
repo_type : binary
repository : FreeBSD

Reply 1 of 3, by swapjim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found a way to recompile DOSBox with debugging on. I saw some numbers scroll quickly in the console. Am I supposed to do something with this output? Should I pipe it in a file and post it here?

Reply 2 of 3, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

the problem is 64bit. Your Dosbox is build as 64bit and I guess you are using the 0.74 version of DOSBox. There are three things you can do:
- In Dosbox before running anything, enter "core normal". This prevents the dynamic core from being used (which is not 64bit ready) but without it Dosbox will be much slower (which it already is when built in 64bit)
- compile the latest SVN of DOSBox. Will still be slower but won't crash anymore (or shouldn't at least)
- compile DOSBox and all its dependencies in 32bit and run that. Will be much faster but you will need to figure out how to do that first.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper