VOGONS

First post, by macaw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to run a Taiwanese DOS game from 1997 called Shen Guang Dao (聖光島). At this point I've only ever got it to run in windows 95 VM's, but it would be a lot nicer to get it running in dosbox. Over many years I've tried out all kinds of different settings in dosbox with no luck.

I know no one else here is going to know about or own this game to try themselves, so I will do my best to illustrate whats happening to at least try to give as many clues as possible to anyone with a better understanding of how dosbox and dos games work that might be able to pinpoint the issue.

The setup program to install from the disc works fine apart from 2 stange black lines. Note that the game includes a CD audio soundtrack that plays from the CD which plays a tune even during this setup program. The odd thing is that one you setup the music device it then also plays a non-cd audio synth tune on top of the cd track.

YMPi8VE.png

When running the game the video for the company logo plays fine, however if you let it run to the next video, the game intro, it crashes dosbox. You can get around this by clicking past the intro video to skip it.

zhHbF0z.png

Once the game gets to the title screen however its always just a black screen, but you can hear the CD audio music playing. The entire game runs in 640x480 by the way, apart from the 3d video clips such as the intro.

NoKFEJU.png

For some extra info here are the system reqs form the back of the box:

GDjtafi.png

And here are the system reqs from the manual:

CveNTRB.png

And here is a troubleshooting page from the manual. I know its in chinese but theres enough english there to maybe give clues as to what the game is doing:

rT4wlcM.png

Thanks for any help.

Reply 1 of 2, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
macaw wrote:

Over many years I've tried out all kinds of different settings in dosbox with no luck.

It feels kind of pointless to try to suggest anything (the machine type, core, or CPU type come to mind) without knowing what you've tried.

Sometimes booting DOS in DOSBox (with a floppy or hard drive image) is worth a try.

Reply 2 of 2, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the black lines suggest to me a seglimit issue like Into The Shadows, Greedy, Fit-Up, etc have.
No easy fix for that one in DOSBox, if that's indeed the cause. It would require some custom code.