VOGONS

First post, by tomexplodes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The problem is that I can't get it to work.

I've taken the files from the CD, mounted the dir as a drive, installed the game.
When I try to boot windows with

cd\windows
win c:\sierra\mgdx\sierraw.exe

I get "Windows Title Not Found"
followed by "Can't find SIERRA.ERR"

I notice in the game's IN WINDOWS shortcut, it calls up c:\sierra\mgdx\resource.cfg

If I do that in my dosbox conf, it says "No application is associated with the specified file."

I need to somehow run sierraw.exe and call up resource.cfg but I don't know how to do it from the dosbox prompt.

If anyone has any idea what to do, I'd sure appreciate the help. I just like having shortcuts for all my old dos games, having them for win 3.1 games too would also be nice.

Thanks in advance. Take care!

- Tom

1.) MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium 233mhz, 32mb RAM, S3 Trio64, Sound Blaster Pro 2
2.) Windows 98SE with Unofficial SP3, AMD Athlon 1.3ghz, 768mb RAM, Geforce 4 MX 440 64mb AGP, Sound Blaster Live! Value

Reply 2 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tomexplodes wrote:
When I try to boot windows with […]
Show full quote

When I try to boot windows with

cd\windows
win c:\sierra\mgdx\sierraw.exe

I get "Windows Title Not Found"
followed by "Can't find SIERRA.ERR"

I would suggest

cd \sierra\mgdx
c:\windows\win sierraw.exe

I notice in the game's IN WINDOWS shortcut, it calls up c:\sierra\mgdx\resource.cfg

If I do that in my dosbox conf, it says "No application is associated with the specified file."

I'm not sure what this means, but that also suggests you can associate *.cfg files in your Win 3.1 installation with sierraw.exe, and then use

cd \windows
win c:\sierra\mdgx\resource.cfg

I have completely forgotten how to set file associations in Windows 3.1, though.

In any case, Runexit is probably a better idea.

Reply 3 of 8, by tomexplodes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried adding runexit to the mix,
cd\windows
win c:\runexit c:\sierra\mgdx\sierraw.exe c:\sierra\mgdx\resource.cfg

But I get the same "can't find sierra.err" error as before.

I tried what you suggested,

cd\sierra\mgdx
c:\windows\win sierraw.exe resource.cfg

but I still get the same errors as before.

Somehow it's not actually calling up resource.cfg at the same time as the executable.

EDIT: Also I rechecked the shortcut in windows, it calls up like so "C:\Sierra\MGDX\sierraw.exe C:\Sierra\MGDX\resource.cfg"

1.) MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium 233mhz, 32mb RAM, S3 Trio64, Sound Blaster Pro 2
2.) Windows 98SE with Unofficial SP3, AMD Athlon 1.3ghz, 768mb RAM, Geforce 4 MX 440 64mb AGP, Sound Blaster Live! Value

Reply 4 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The game requires an argument of the path to the CFG file. Running the EXE without the path will result in the "Title not found" error.

This game's installer copies very little to the hard drive. The "Cannot find SIERRA.ERR" is probably because the game is not finding the CD

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tomexplodes wrote:
I tried what you suggested, […]
Show full quote

I tried what you suggested,

cd\sierra\mgdx
c:\windows\win sierraw.exe resource.cfg

but I still get the same errors as before.

That's not what I suggested. That will never work, either. "win.com" will only take one argument.

It looks like your best bet is to try to associate *.cfg files with sierra.exe. According to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/83433 , you can do this by editing your WIN.INI in your Windows 3.1 directory. Add a line in the [extensions] section reading
cfg=C:\Sierra\mdgx\sierra.exe ^.cfg

Then try

cd \windows
win c:\sierra\mdgx\resource.cfg

and it should launch sierraw.exe automatically.

Reply 6 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That won't work. Most of the game's resources are on the CD. The shortcut properties should not only have the command line of C:\SIERRA\MGDX\SIERRAW.EXE C:\SIERRA\MGDX\RESOURCE.CFG, but also a working directory of the CD path. Without the working directory set the game will not find the resources on the CD.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh. Well, in that case, assuming a CD-ROM drive letter of "D", perhaps this to work after making the edit to WIN.INI:

d:
c:\windows\win c:\sierra\mdgx\resource.cfg

Alternatively, I expect it should be possible to make a .PIF file in Windows that can be used to launch sierraw.exe with resource.cfg and the working directory of "D:". Then the .PIF file could be specified as an argument when launching "win".