VOGONS

First post, by greazy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello-

1st post here. YAY. I've got an old dos game I've played off and on again since the mid '80s called Oubilette. I found the game a few years ago somewhere online, and since then have played it from time to time at home/work when I have a few minutes to kill.

With my machine, I currently cannot get it to work using the prompt screen. I get a NO CORE error.
When I attempt to run it using DOSBox, it will load-up, but cancel out before I can give it any commands. Its as if someone is punching keys like mad, the screen flutters, then quits back to dos.

The computer I'm currently trying to get it to work on is as follows (can't crack it open, and it's a home-made jobby, so who knows exactly):

Win 2000 sp4
800mhz P3
512meg ram
20gig HD
Sound Blaster Live! Value (no sound in game, text-only)

I didn't read anything on the policy of posting the actual game in question; someone tell me if it's against policy. It's 54kb zipped, so no biggy. Here's the history on the game, in the acknoledgement section:

Oubliette was originally conceived and created by Jim Schwaiger in the spring of 1977, and was released to the users of the Univ […]
Show full quote

Oubliette was originally conceived and created by Jim Schwaiger in the spring of 1977, and was released to the users of the University of Illinois’ PLATO system on November 18, 1977.

The authors of the game during the period from September 1977 to May 1980 were Dr. John Gaby, Dr. Bancherd (Mike) DeLong and Jim Schwaiger.

The Varget, the ancient language, was created by David Emigh, who also served as consultant during the game’s early development.

In Fall of 1979, two additional authors, Ken Bourque and Bruce Szablak, joined the author team and continued to improve the game.

The authors of this version are Victor Helsing and Jim Schwaiger, both graduates from the University of Illinois (Urbana campus).

We owe a debt of gratitude to Dr. Samuel Kaplan, whose support to the game and its authors can never be repaid, and to Dr. Jim Snellen, the current overlord on the PLATO system.

It's been hard as heck to track down the originators of this game which is a shame; i'd love to port it to Palm!

Mod edit: Fixed the name of the game in the subject line

Reply 1 of 12, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
greazy wrote:

I didn't read anything on the policy of posting the actual game in question; someone tell me if it's against policy. It's 54kb zipped, so no biggy.

It's not against policy, so please post the game.

greazy wrote:

It's been hard as heck to track down the originators of this game which is a shame; i'd love to port it to Palm!

Well, you always could disassemble it and start from there. The chances that the source code is still around somewhere isn't that big, for a mid-eighties system.

JAL

Reply 2 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well it depends on wether the game is copyrighted or not
(freely distributable or not).

We don't host illegal software.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 12, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

well it depends on wether the game is copyrighted or not
(freely distributable or not).
We don't host illegal software.

Well, software is legal until proven otherwise, isn't it? And a copyright notice needn't prohibit distribution. And if illegal to distribute, then there's still the legalness of linking to a place where the illegal software can be found (at least in some countries). Also, copyright infringement is only a crime when the infringee sues you, and, as I understand, in this case the original developers are untraceable.

JAL

Reply 4 of 12, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

@jal: It is the other way round: illegal unless proven otherwise. Almost all games are copyrighted. The fact that original developers are untraceble does not change anything. As for linking: you probably noticed already that abandonware links are being deleted from here.

Saying that, it is of course good when bugs are found, so I have nothing against you arranging with somebody sending a game to you to debug. Quite the opposite. Bug hunting is appreciated. But any legally suspicious things should go privately (mail, PM etc.) without writing about it an a publicly accessible forum like Vogons...

Mirek

Reply 5 of 12, by greazy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've looked for the old link from where I pulled the game from originally, and can't find it. I remember that it was pretty tough to find in the first place.

It would seem that if a moderator says it's illegal until proven otherwise, I'll not post it. But if someone wishes to debug it for me (make it go in dosBox) PM me and I'll let you take a look-see.

Reply 6 of 12, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mirekluza wrote:

@jal: It is the other way round: illegal unless proven otherwise.

Darn, so you didn't go for my lousy arguments 🙁 Next time I'll try to be even more convincing! 😀

JAL

Reply 7 of 12, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
greazy wrote:

It would seem that if a moderator says it's illegal until proven otherwise, I'll not post it. But if someone wishes to debug it for me (make it go in dosBox) PM me and I'll let you take a look-see.

@greazy: what you can try is getting the debugger version of DOXbox. Even if you have no experience in debugging, sometimes it can give helpful information like 'call xxxx not supported' (where xxxx is some BIOS call or the like). The debugger can be found here: DOSBox debugger

JAL

Reply 8 of 12, by greazy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright. Just ran the program, and here is what I get when I run the game.

1054657: FCB:DOS:0x22 FCB-Random write used, result:al=0 1088480: FCB:DOS:0x22 FCB-Random write used, result:al=0 1122303: FCB:D […]
Show full quote

1054657: FCB:DOS:0x22 FCB-Random write used, result:al=0
1088480: FCB:DOS:0x22 FCB-Random write used, result:al=0
1122303: FCB:DOS:0x22 FCB-Random write used, result:al=0
1156126: FCB:DOS:0x22 FCB-Random write used, result:al=0
1189959: FCB:DOS:0x22 FCB-Random write used, result:al=0
1223782: FCB:DOS:0x22 FCB-Random write used, result:al=0
1240703: FCB:DOS:0x10 FCB-fileclose used, result:al=0
1240769: FILES:file open command 2 file C:OUB9 .DAT
1240769: FCB:DOS:0x0f FCB-fileopen used, result:al=0
1242220: FCB:DOS:0x22 FCB-Random write used, result:al=0
1243649: FCB:DOS:0x10 FCB-fileclose used, result:al=0
1243668: INT10:Set Video Mode 3
1244635: VGA:H total 100, V Total 449
1244635: VGA:H D End 80, V D End 400

It may be interesting to note that I have the following files to run this game:
oub.exe
oub1.dat
oub2.dat
oub3.dat
oub4.dat
oub5.dat
oub6.dat
oub7.dat
oub8.dat
oub9.dat
oub10.dat
oub11.dat
oub12.dat

Reply 9 of 12, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
greazy wrote:

Alright. Just ran the program, and here is what I get when I run the game. (...)

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to clearify anything. Seems the program must have run into some internal error, and exits gracefully without printing any error...

JAL

Reply 10 of 12, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quoted from HOTU. By the way, the proper name is OUBLIETTE

Oubliette is a great fantasy RPG that dates back to 1983. The game is entirely text, but it does a great job in showing what's going on around you. First, you have to create a few characters. You can create many, many characters (in fact it's almost necessary) to survive in the dungeons of LIGNE. You have a choice of 8 character types, and they are: the Dwarf, Elf, Gnoll, Hobbit, Human, Kobold, Ogre and Orc. Once your type is chosen your stats are rolled, and depending on your stats you could have special "occupations" like a thief or mage. If you do that, then you can choose from a variety of different schools and groups to teach you the ways of whatever you've chosen. Be careful though, as there might be a good chance your character fails or even dies during apprenticeship!

The dungeon portion (which is similar to Rogue-style games) is well thought out. It uses ASCII graphics to display the walls and the word Party to display where your party is, which is well done, and the dungeons are nice and confusing. There are also a good variety of weapons to use against your enemies. However, the game is very difficult and can find many people dead on the first try (The game has told me that I've got into the game 6 times and lost 16 characters) but the great variety of the game will have RPG fans coming back for more! I wasn't even really interested in the genre, and now I'm hooked! Two thumbs up!

I am going to test it under Windows XP... (Oubliette v. 2.5)

CONCLUSION: SEEMS TO RUN FINE UNDER WINDOWS XP (NTVDM). JUST USE MOSLOW.
E.G. MOSLO.EXE OUB.EXE