VOGONS

i can run a game on dosbox but not in a front end?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by multi007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Im looking for some help -- the game is Return of the Phantom of the Opera. (cd rom talkie version)

I unzipped the main folder and it created a return of the phantom folder. inside that folder was a c and cd folder.

if i drag and drop the return of the phantom folder into dosbox icon, the game runs great (I just need to increase cycles to get it up to speed).

but for some reason I just can figure out the proper settings to get it to run in a front end.

the front end i use is dbgl.

you dont need to "install" the game for it to work. i suspect my problem is with the mounting. i run the game inside the front end and it
opens then closes the program instantly. is there anyone who can help? Thanks,

multi007

Reply 1 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
multi007 wrote:

I unzipped the main folder

you dont need to "install" the game for it to work.

Sounds like you downloaded this game from some random place on the Internet and that you are not using an original CD. Support for such things is not provided here.

Reply 3 of 4, by zippyjoe70

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry Multi007 - not sure what Jorpho's problem is. He thinks we're some kind of "elite" forum that only helps those "worthy". its awesome that he helps people, but dude is not an admin so he has no right to tell you to pop-off... if not for those asking for help, this forum would be empty. im using a new account because many of us disagree with these kind of responses.

Let me help you best I can. There is a known issue with mps software games using dosbox. Check out some solutions here. Re: Return of the Phantom - CD install solution

if you still have a problem, come back and make another post.

Reply 4 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Actually Jorpho is right and it's not about anything elitist but a way to protect the DOSBox developers and owner of this forum. If you are using illegal doenloads we can't help yo here.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper