VOGONS

Ultima 8

Topic actions

First post, by Ben

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! I'll say it now... I'm not anything close to being an expert on using DOS. My last experience before using DosBox was when I was 9.

Here's the problem: Whenever I try and load Ultima 8, I get this message:

Filename =
Mode =ReadWrite
Error =2001
DOSError =0000
Source =FLEX\FLEX.C (66)
Program halted by code.

I'm using DosBox 0.63 on Windows XP. I know my computer is more than adequate to run the game. I'm assuming that it's something simple that I'm overlooking because I'm not used to using DOS, so if someone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Reply 1 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

things to check:
xms=true
ems=false
check that the files are not write protected.
check that the irq in the setup for the sound card matches the one in dosbox (7 by default).

Reply 2 of 13, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:
things to check: xms=true ems=false check that the files are not write protected. check that the irq in the setup for the sound […]
Show full quote

things to check:
xms=true
ems=false
check that the files are not write protected.
check that the irq in the setup for the sound card matches the one in dosbox (7 by default).

Not to play the advocate here but...I play Ultima 8 with EMS so I'm not so sure thats the problem here. 😒

Reply 3 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm going to go with Dominus' suggestion of checking to make sure none of the files or folders for the game are read-only/write-protected. The error looks like the game is not able to open a file for read+write access.

avatar: Just for reference, what version of DOSBox do you have U8 running in?

Last edited by HunterZ on 2005-08-19, 20:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 13, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

I'm going to go with Dominus' suggestion of checking to make sure none of the files or folders for the game are read-only/write-protected. The error looks like the game is not able to open a file for read+write access.

avatar: Just for reference, what version of DOSBox do you have U8 running in?

I've run it in Dosbox 0.63, AEP's build and ykhwong's build. They all work at great speeds with full sound. No crashes as far as I have seen.

Reply 6 of 13, by Ben

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I thank you all for your suggestions, though things still aren't working correctly. I'm getting the same error.

I have another problem which may very well be related... lately I haven't been able to use command at all, and I've been getting this message when I open it:

"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. System file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications."

I search windows 32 for the autoexec file and it's not there at all. I remember quite vividly using command prompt in XP since I used to use it for ftp purposes, but I haven't in a long time and since then I've been getting that message. Any suggestions there?

Reply 8 of 13, by Ben

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you very much, Hunter, as that fixed my command prompt problem. However, that fucking game is STILL not working, giving the same error. I'm beginning to think that my nostalgia will go unfulfilled, but I suppose I'll keep trying. If there are any more suggestions available, I'd appreciate them. I've done everything suggested thus far. Oi.

Reply 9 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just out of curiosity, what is the name of the path you have the game installed in? Is it longer than 8 characters, or does it contain spaces?

Reply 10 of 13, by Ben

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nevermind everyone! I got it working (somehow, not entirely sure yet)!!! Thank you all so much for your help!

Reply 11 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awesome. If you figure it out, be sure to let us know - someone else may have the same problem and look to this thread for help.

Reply 12 of 13, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For the autoexec.nt problem check here for possible solutions:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?sci … kb;en-us;324767

I have seen several people having that error lately on another board, it appears some spyware program is corrupting autoexec.nt from what I remember of the discussion.

Reply 13 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I still would like to know the solution to Ben's problem (though it sounds like he was using the windows dosbox instead of Dosbox 😀)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper