VOGONS

Qmodem 4.6T DOS

Topic actions

First post, by Stainless

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Poll: Who would like to see TCP/IP Support for the virtual modem in the latest release?

• 3 votes (100%) 3 votes (100%)
  • No votes No votes
  • No votes No votes
  • No votes No votes

Hi having problems connecting to a BBS. The reason I choosen DOSBOX is because it has a built in Virtual Modem. I have read somewhere in here about a patch that finds the correct hex for the port number for listening to port 23. When I try to connect to a BBS locally it says CONNECT 57600 port 17. I cannot find this file for download. Also will it work for the latest release?

Also what the heck is CVS release is that for linux or unix based systems only? Or a cross platform executable. Thanks for any help.

Stainless

Come to Rat's Nest BBS 😉 Telnet to ratsnest.synchro.net. Lots of door games to play.

Reply 1 of 22, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most of the CVS binaries are for Windows. You can always get the latest CVS source code from sourceforge or other places to build your own CVS binary on any of the supported platforms (Windows, Linux, ?).

Reply 2 of 22, by Stainless

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well the modem part works but now while on a bbs I finally get to the main menu and get invalid key message. I look down and qmodem is saying keyboard buffer full. How do I fix that one. 😳
Thanks again for any info.

Come to Rat's Nest BBS 😉 Telnet to ratsnest.synchro.net. Lots of door games to play.

Reply 3 of 22, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Did you use a CVS build?

DOSBox SVN Builds

Download a recent one, start it, type

serial1 modem

at the command prompt and start your terminal.

I just connected to your ratsnest using Dosbox and QModem, but then it asked me for my full name 😳

Reply 4 of 22, by Stainless

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well BBS's are like that. You can just put your first name and last initial. No biggy. Anyway I'm running your Serial3 win exe file with the .63 dosbox I added the dll files required to windows/system and copied and pasted the com port section from your config file to the .63 config file. I was able to play my terminal games but for some reason I'm getting buffer full and a please wait from the main menu like keystrokes are constant or something. If you have any ideas I'd love to hear from ya.
Thanks again.

P.S. Are the latest CVS Releases better than your port or dosbox?

Reply 5 of 22, by Stainless

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also one of those CVS from gulikoza's build has a trojan horse virus in one of the lib dll files. Just thought you should know. Avast detected it which is free for private use.

Reply 6 of 22, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's probably a false positive, but I don't use other people's builds so I can't say for sure.

Reply 7 of 22, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's not a trojan horse virus.
The reason is the compresson of UPX. Decompress the dlls by UPX utility.

Reply 8 of 22, by Stainless

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On that note I downloaded your latest CVS and I'm having problems with the game bogging down. How do you lower the CPU clocks to the dosbox in your version? Sorry I'm kinda new to dosbox. Thanks again for all the help guys.. Seems like your dosbox cvs is more stable using qmodem. Should I install DosBoxer as a frontend for it? Don't know what it is anyway. ;-P Thanks again for any help.
[/quote]

Reply 9 of 22, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Use special keys Ctrl+F11/Ctrl+F12 to lower or increase cpu cycles,
or open dosbox.conf with notepad, then you can change the number of 'cycles='.

Reply 10 of 22, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hmm...that's why I hate lame antiviruses 😀

Reply 11 of 22, by Stainless

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Was libz.dll to be specific. You probably downloaded a bad copy of the library files. Well at least we all hope. 😜

Reply 12 of 22, by Stainless

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh I went into the config and set the cpu cycles to 3500. Only problem though is when I get the receive buffer full message I turned up the cycles to 6500 which seemed to clear it up. Only think I can figure is I set my baud to 38400 but it seems I need to kick that up to be compairable to the baud rate my bbs is sending to the dosbox otherwise it will not be able to compinsate for the data flow. Somehow that information isn't being relayed from dosbox virtual modem to the bbs. Is there a special initialization I need to put into Qmodem? Also does the virual modem built in emulate hayes compatible? Just curious. Thanks again.

Reply 13 of 22, by Stainless

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another question specific to qmodem and dosbox's virtual modem. For some reason there is not a check in place to close the port when initialized. After shutting off the Dosbox, then shutting off Synchronet BBS software. I reload Synchronet BBS and reload the dosbox to reconnect I have the hardest time trying to reconnect via port 23. Now I know Synchronet BBS is listening on port 23 and so is dosbox. Can I change the listening port on dosbox and this should fix the problem? How can one clear a port after using it through dosbox. Thanks again. Hope I'm not asking too many questions.

Reply 15 of 22, by Stainless

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Be nice If I knew how. ;-P It runs natively through Windows XP win32 program so it uses the network protocols through Windows XP

Oh by the way my system config is as follows:

1.8 Ghz Athelon XP Processor
1 Gig of Ram
20 Gig HDD
Radeon 7000 64MB Video (Sapphire) AGP
SV266A Syntax Motherboard
Actiontec Wireless Ready DSL Gateway (DSL Modem)
OS- Windows XP Pro SP2

Reply 16 of 22, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

To change the port to 24, type atthe command prompt:
serial1 modem listenport:24

To connect to port 23 on your local machine, type in the terminal:
atd127.0.0.1:23

Baudrate is not emulated. If you get problems increase your cycles even further and switch to dynamic core.
The virtual modem is 'a bit' hayes compatible. Some commands may be missing.

Reply 17 of 22, by Stainless

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Changing the listening port worked! I'm using listenport:24 with no problems. I assumed you needed to listen on the same port you connect to a BBS.

Now when I start my terminal program it seems to not be able to mesh up with the Land of Devistation Doorgame. Ah well back to the drawing board. I'll make sure that changing the listenport didn't mess up the way information is handled with these doorgames. I'll try a doorgame I had working and then try different startup strings in the terminal program for LOD. Hopefully its not the listenport.

Is there a Memory Manager in the dosbox prog? Thanks for all your help folks!

Reply 18 of 22, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox emulates XMS and EMS memory managers.

Did you say you're just using DOSBox to run QModem to simulate dialing into a BBS over telnet? It seems like it would be easier to just use a straight telnet client that supports ANSI.

Also, changing the listenport (in DOSBox) shouldn't affect anything for this, as you're not intending to connect to DOSBox from somewhere else. It is important to use a different port for DOSBox than SBBS if DOSbox always tries to take over the specified listenport, as it would otherwise create a conflict between the two applications.

I would suspect that some DOS-based door games would have trouble running in WinNT/2K/XP because they try to talk directly to a com port, which WinXP may not allow (and isn't the desired behavior anyways). I haven't looked at telnet-based BBS software like the new versions of SBBS though - maybe they provide some kind of FOSSIL driver for door games to use to talk over telnet instead of serial/modem?

Reply 19 of 22, by Stainless

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If it emulates XMS and EMS managers. What to put into the autoexec.bat and config.sys (or does it not use a config.sys?). I know that qmodem requires BUFFER=40 and FILES=40.

The reason why I'm using Qmodem to run through Dosbox is because it has the ability to access external programs to play your games via telnet or dialup. With the help of the virtual modem in dosbox of course. On the other hand the newer versions of Qmodem Pro and all the other BBS Terminal Programs out there for Windows do not have this option. They do have a dos shell which is absolutely worthless due to the fact they don't allow use of Input/Output in the dos shell.

Well I was playing The Pit Through Qmodem fine with sound no less. But Land of Devistation by Scott Baker is more memory intensive hence the question about memory managers. It also tries to access VESA drivers for SVGA graphics and Sound Drivers. Do I need to install drivers through the dosbox? ie.. Sound, and Video?

Yes SBBS has a FOSSIL driver built in so if I try install a fossil driver in dosbox I'm likely going to cancel out the one emulated through SBBS. Also the 16 bit doors run fine under SBBS as long as they make use of a fossil driver to communicate. Thanks for your help in this matter.