VOGONS

First post, by ShadowXIX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Im running the game 7cities of gold (the newer version) in DosBOX 0.63 and the game randomly crashes and boots me out of the game and DOSbox. 😵

I had a problem with the sound in the game but found a way to get the music to play. I first tried loading it with a command in dosbox or just draggin the 7Cities Application icon over the dosbox icon both of which produce no sound.

Instead I tried another application Labeled " 7cog MS-DOS " Im not sure what this app was but it made the load and play with sound when I dragged it over the dosbox icon. But the game and dosbox randomly shut off sometimes ill play for a hour fine and then get booted sometimes 5 minutes. 🙁

I havent bothered playing very long the no sound way since sound is somewhat important in that game as the music is the only way to tell if a whole village is hostile to you.

Anyway I wanted to know if the way im starting the game is causing this or if dosbox has problems with this game?

OFF TOPIC- I had color issues with this game which I have seem to have sorted out 😒 but nothings ever easy it seems, but thats another threas

Reply 1 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

uhm try the cvs version of dosbox. See the development forum

0.63 had in imcomplete pic decoding and I think 7cog sometimes created a path that wasn't emulated. Dosbox exists in such a case. The CVS should have a more complete handling. At least enough for 7cog

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 3, by ShadowXIX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks very much for the information I hope I can get this game working its is pretty fun

Reply 3 of 3, by ShadowXIX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I trying to get the CVS AEP to work to try the game but am not sure if I know exactly what to do after I downloaded the CVS from the link in the development section.

There wouldnt happen to be a thread explaining how to use the AEP build would there? Im trying the search function but without much luck.