VOGONS

The Lawnmower Man bug?

Topic actions

First post, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The old game "The Lawnmower Man" seems to have an odd problem. At various points throughout the game (such as the game over screen) the pallete changes to a totally garish and presumably incorrect one. At the same time as this occurs the debugger says this:

INT10:Set Video Mode 13
MOUSE:Unhandled videomode 93 on reset

Neither cpu or graphics settings in dosbox seem to change the problem at all, and interestingly the same thing happens when trying to run it with VDMSound (although it is totally jerky and unplayable using that). I am running ykhwong's latest build, although this happens on the standard 0.63 and earlier (I think). If it is at all relevant, I am running on XP with a Geforce6800 (with 78.01 drivers).

Reply 1 of 2, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well the message you posted has unfortunate nothing to do with your problem.

It's indeed a bit odd that it messes up in vdmsound as well. That would indicate either a very obscure feature (not present in current vga cards anymore) or a game that is broken by itself.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 2, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Qbix wrote:

well the message you posted has unfortunate nothing to do with your problem.

It's indeed a bit odd that it messes up in vdmsound as well. That would indicate either a very obscure feature (not present in current vga cards anymore) or a game that is broken by itself.

I've now tried the game on an old box with a Voodoo 3 in it, and the colours are ok there. It must just be doing something wierd. In case this is any help, the palette screw ups seem to occur when the game switches between between graphics mode D (EGA, yum!), which is used for most of the gameplay, and 13. It sometimes corrects itself while in mode 13 if the scene changes (point of view change, different video sequence? I don't know if this makes any sense).

Anyway, thanks for the help.