VOGONS

First post, by lightspot21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I tried to install the software above (from an ISO image), but during the installation I always get the following error:
"Cannot change properties of the file named: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WING32.DLL". Could anyone explain what does this mean?

I tried to install it on DOSBox SVN (5 Aug 2018), which ran Windows 3.1 featuring: S3 graphics drivers on 1024x768@65k colors, SoundBlaster drivers, VfW, QuickTime 2.1.2 and WinG.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 3 of 3, by lightspot21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Really sorry for the gravedigging, but I finally found the solution to this!

DK Multimedia's setup executables in general have a quirk which makes them (most of the time, but not always) want to write some files and set their permissions to read only. DOSbox has purposefully butchered its file attributes system in order to avoid problems with the host OS. Therefore, when the setup tries to set the installed file's access to read only, the procedure fails and the setup process can't continue.

The solution is to set for each file the proper permissions (with

chmod 400 <filename here>

on Linux, for Windows one just needs to right click and check 'Read only' at the appropriate box in the Properties panel) and clicking Retry on the setup window. This procedure must be repeated for every file reported by the Setup with the aforementioned error, until the procedure ends or there are no more errors.

Credit for the original fix: https://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=3954&letter=T

This fix is tested on The Way Things Work 2.0 (Greek version, by me), on The Way Things Work 1.0 (Russian) and also on Stowaway, which leads to the conclusion that this is a general fix for these kinds of problems.

Have fun!

PS to moderators: if this post is gravedigging please move it to another thread, don't delete it so the fix isn't lost.