VOGONS

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got DF running on D-Fend reloaded no problem but this game looks a LOT rougher than I remember twenty years ago! Can anyone offer any tips on the config settings to make it look a little better? Maybe on par with DN3D or Doom2? I'm running on my XP rig - see sig.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 2 of 10, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

I'm assuming the setup program assumed low detail by default at install time. Raise it

If you want to go beyond 320x200, that means playing the Mac version

So dosbox/d-fend configs have no real effect? I'll go into setup program and have a look, figured it toggles sound stuff only. Thanks!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 3 of 10, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting, I pulled up the setup program and saw there are additional stuff you can add like textures, cut scenes and etc. Didn't see anything regarding changing the resolutions so I'm back at messing around with the "D-fend" controls.

Reply 5 of 10, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you heard about and considered DarkXL, the reverse engineered clone? It solves the "roughness" problems with the original game by supporting high resolutions, texture filtering, mouse look and more. It's not perfect, since it's unfinished and has bugs and only half-working cutscenes, but the pros outweigh the cons, IMO. I'm not completely sure that it runs on XP, though. It may be more of something that you'd want to play on your main, modern computer, instead. I can help you find, download and set it up if you indicate an interest.

Last edited by Osprey on 2018-08-27, 07:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 10, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

DarkXL isn't suggested or recommended because it was never finished no thanks to scope-creep and so many years of being closed-source and unfulfilled promises.

I'm suggesting and recommending it. The cons are significant, but, as I said, I think that the pros outweigh them. Everyone should decide for himself, but you have to know about it first.

Reply 8 of 10, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

DarkXL isn't suggested or recommended because it was never finished no thanks to scope-creep and so many years of being closed-source and unfulfilled promises.

im using DarkXL too, it isn't perfect but it fits the quota.
Also i would love to see a working source port for this game, but then kaiser is knee deep occupied with PowerslaveEX and Turok3, and M210 cares only for Build Engine based games.

Which is something that the Jedi Engine isn't, even if it as Build-esque stuff.

Reply 9 of 10, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deffnator wrote:
im using DarkXL too, it isn't perfect but it fits the quota. Also i would love to see a working source port for this game, but t […]
Show full quote
leileilol wrote:

im using DarkXL too, it isn't perfect but it fits the quota.
Also i would love to see a working source port for this game, but then kaiser is knee deep occupied with PowerslaveEX and Turok3, and M210 cares only for Build Engine based games.

Which is something that the Jedi Engine isn't, even if it as Build-esque stuff.

I didn't know that Kaiser was working on Turok 3. It's a bit of a strange game, to be honest, an N64 exclusive released near the end of the N64's commercial life (by which point so many N64 fans had moved onto the Dreamcast or whatever), and it mostly doesn't feel like a Turok game since dinosaurs only appear in one of it's five (or is it six?) worlds. It's a good game, with good weapons, some good levels, good game mechanics and (by N64 standards, anyway) fair graphics and sound. But the levels' (the game areas') quality varies quite a lot, the game tries to feel like Half-Life and fails too obviously, the immersion can be good then a poorly designed area reminds you you're just playing a game on a system that has limited storage for game data, and altogether it was OK on the N64, but that was a system that didn't have too many first person shooters, and even then it was utterly outclassed in every way (often massively so) by the earlier N64 game Perfect Dark.

And it had, some strange design decisions, such as enemies that can see you and shoot at you through walls (which I'm 99.9999% sure is a bug, but it's near the beginning of the game and is so blatant that even the laziest beta-tester would have found and logged it if it was unintended, surely?), or the way the tokens that you pick up are sometimes arrayed on the ground and in the air in such a way as to spell out exactly where you should be going, and thereby saving you the trouble of having to explore or experiment with the surroundings.

I don't think too many people will even have played Turok 3 (it seems to get almost no mention on most N64 forums or threads I visit) and I doubt a modern remaster would be very popular, when there are so many better known and higher quality games available now. I could be wrong, but I don't imagine many players new to it would judge it favourably compared to everything else that's available nowadays.

Edit: BTW, M210, the maker of the brilliant BloodGDX, has released early versions of JAVA ports of the game engines for Redneck Rampage, Witchaven, and Tekwar! To download and try them, go to:

http://m210.duke4.net/index.php

Reply 10 of 10, by Deffnator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

he's probably working on rebuilding the entire game for a moddable source port as he did with Doom64EX
Powerslave he pretty much confirmed on twitter and on /doom/ that it will feature everything from all 3 ports, including enemies and such, it will be a new game.

as for M210, he said that he wont be working on Dark forces, but with Build games. i'll wait until Redneck is fully compatible with Redneck Rides again.