VOGONS

Mortal Kombat Trilogy

Topic actions

First post, by cyberaxe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had loads of problems in the beginning but they were fixed when I enabled pc speaker emulation for some weird reason

When it begins to load the command box shows loads of illegal reads and writes then in dosbox it brings up a dos4GW Exception and crashes

I’m using univbe and have tried replacing the DOS4GW.EXE with DOS32A and it still has loads of illegal reads and writes and opcodes and then crashes

I’ve also tried changing the uvconfig with the newer one from Scitech display doctor and that does nothing either

I tried outputting the dosbox text via the > command but it doesn’t seem to save the text file till after the program finishes and dosbox stops responding so doesn’t get a chance to save

Motherboard: MSI 6382 V3
CPU: AMD XP 2200+
RAM: 512MB DDR
Sound Card: Audigy 2 ZS

DOSBox v0.63

[sdl]
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=true
fullfixed=false
fullresolution=320x240
output=ddraw
hwscale=1.00
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt

[dosbox]
language=
machine=vga
captures=capture
memsize=256

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=none

[cpu]
core=full
cycles=12000
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

[mixer]
nosound=true
rate=48000
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]
mpu401=true
intelligent=true
device=win32
config=

[sblaster]
type=sb16
base=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=48000

[gus]
gus=false
rate=48000
base=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
Show last 10 lines
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=48000
tandyrate=48000
disney=true

Reply 1 of 9, by cyberaxe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

it seems to be based on this http://www.scitechsoft.com/products/dev/mgl_d … d/mgl_down.html and when it gets to initialising mgl and so forth is when it crashes

ive disbled all sound support except pc speaker and no sound and that seems to have gotten a little futher but it gets to initilaising mgl2 or something and seems to go into an infinite loop of illegally reading a memory address (constantly increases by one digit)

Reply 2 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PC Games weren't designed without a PC Speaker....so they expect a PC Speaker so don't disable it.

Any version of SDD newer than 5.3a does not work properly in DosBox. So use that version.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 9, by cyberaxe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks, ive changed to version 5.3a and its working a bit better it still completly crashes with the old DOS4GW where as it just throws up an exception with the newer one and exists

only error in the command window is

illegal read from ffffffffff
illegal write to ffffffffff
illegal opcode

i'll try farting around with the univbe settings and see if that works

Reply 4 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try using this modified univesa driver (it just redirects UNIVBE to your hardware vesa implementation in bios).

You could also try replacing DOS4GW with DOS32A (for stability). Search the forum for more information.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 9, by cyberaxe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

still wont load with the modified drivers an i have replaced DOS4GW with DOS32A

i think its to do with it using MGL because i have tried toonstruck which also uses the univbe drivers and that works fine

anyway thats midway programmers for you it barley worked in real dos back in the day 🤣

Reply 6 of 9, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There are a lot of other things you could try if you didn't,
especially when using a CVS build.
Like disabling xms/ems, raising/lowering the memory etc.

Reply 7 of 9, by cyberaxe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

tried that and i now have the latest CVS build still crashes also downloaded the latest beta version of DOS32A

Reply 8 of 9, by cyberaxe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

was just browsing the forums and came across this ancient topic and throught i'd say how i eventually fixed it incase anyone else ever has problems

it only works with the version of DOS4GW that comes with it any other version or DOS32A causes it to crash

Reply 9 of 9, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just installed it, done the sound setup and it works fine for me with a standard dosbox config.