VOGONS

First post, by owenm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First, system specs:

AMD Athlon 64 Processor
3500+
2.19 GHz, 896 MB RAM (1 GB really, but shared with video card)
MSI Radeon XPress 200 video card
RealTek AC'97 Audio card
Windows XP Media Center Edition
Warcraft I

Hope that's enough info. Let me know if it isn't. Anyway, here's the prob.

All of the files, including war.exe and setup.exe are on the HD in c:\program files\warcraft. I also applied the 1.21 patch with no problems. But when I run war.exe in DOSBox (latest version), the game says I must run setup.exe to avoid a copyright message. Then it asks me to input a code word from the manual (which I have, luckily). Once I put the word in, it starts Warcraft and everything's cool.
I'm just wondering if anyone found a way around this. I'd hate to have to keep referencing the manual every time I want to play. And I doubt I need a crack, because that's just how the game works..

Second problem is that there's no sound or music in Warcraft. Doesn't really bother me as I like to blast Winamp when I play anyway, but would like to know if there's a fix for it anyway. I have it set to all of the default options for audio and video.
I heard somewhere that if you have the CD version of Warcraft, that all of the music is on the CD. But I'm not sure if that's what I have, since it doesn't ask me for the CD and because the sound doesn't work either.

Can anyone tell me the proper config for Warcraft I? Thanks in advance for the help!

Reply 1 of 2, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm did you try saving the configuration ? and you might want to try a cvs build of dosbox. (see development forum). There were some issues with the warcraft setup once. (it used to crash when you selected save configuration or something like that.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 2, by owenm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I saved a profile for it, and generated a shortcut to play it. I used D-Fend to do all of this (too lazy for command linex :x). It does the same exact stuff if I don't use DOSBox at all, though I only have to put in the code word once when I use startup.exe, then it doesn't ask for it again.

Should I upload the profile I have?