VOGONS

First post, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello all.

I've been following the guide to install Windows 3.11 under DOSBox, and everything -save sound, I didn't go that far- seems to work fine.

Problem? I want MORE. I've been searching here and there and got several of my old applications ready to work, such as Word 6.0 or Excel 5. The problem is that those need SHARE.EXE running in order to work (although the install process works flawlessly). I've tried to use the SHARE.EXE from my old MS-DOS 6.22 disks, but DOSBox complains it is the wrong version and won't run it.

My questions are:

1) Is there any DOSBox command or setting that substitutes SHARE.EXE?

2) If there's not, what can I do to make my own SHARE.EXE to work?

3) And, if that's impossible, what other versions of the file will work under DOSBox and where can I get them?

Thank you for your attention and for susch a kickass program, really.

Reply 1 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Currently, you can't use share under DosBox.

Use Qemu. It runs Windows 3.1 just fine and probably more than DosBox ever will.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It should work fine when you use a boot-image with Dos 6.22 and Windows 3.11 on it.
(and I know it would be nicer if it worked directly 😀)

Reply 6 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

best is to finalize your Windows 3.11 installation (sound card and so on). Then follow the hdd image guide in the guides section. Afterwards use bochs to install Dos 6.22 on the hdd image (under Dosbox the Dos 6.22 Setup doesn't work for some reason). Then use the tool mentioned in the hdd image guide to change files in the image. With that copy the whole Windows folder (and others if these are vital for your Windows 3.11 set) onto the image. Edit the autoexec.bat to include the Windows path.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 7, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ugh... Never used BOCHS and don't plan to... I wouldn't know where to start, unless I found a step-by-step guide on how to install dos 6.x under that program, and I still have to see one.

I think I'll let it as it is for now, I can always use Wordperfect or AmiPro or some other stuff that doesn't require SHARE.EXE instead of Office.

Thanks anyway.