VOGONS

First post, by yosemite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been playing ST 25th Anniversary using DosBox 0.63, and now DosBox 0.65. Since the DosBox upgrade, I have noticed the following problem: When I type an item into the Enterprise computer (press the 'c' key on the bridge to bring up the computer), it is not possible type a word containing the letter 'a'. In particular, when I type the letter 'a', the keystroke seems to be mapped to the return key, and the computer attempts looks up the incomplete word. For example, if I want to type "starfleet", all I manage to enter is "st", and as soon as I type 'a', Spock chimes in and says "Topic not available, captain" (as if I had pressed return instead of 'a'). Otherwise, the 'a' key seems to work properly (eg. elsewhere in the game or in the DosBox shell). Has anyone else noticed this problem after upgrading to DosBox 0.65?

Reply 1 of 1, by yosemite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Problem solved. Turns out this was a keymapping problem on my Mac Powerbook keyboard. The 'a' key appears to be mapped to several standard PC keys by default: printscreen, scrollback, pause, plus (on the numeric keypad), and of course the 'a' key itself. This explains why pressing 'a' sometimes behaved as expected, while other times it didn't.

I simply started DOSBox from Terminal with the -startmapper flag and deleted bindings for the keys mentioned above (except the 'a' key, which is the only key that should remain bound). I then saved the keyboard layout, retrieved the mapper.txt file, and referenced it beside the "mapperfile" line in my conf file. Now, whenever I start the Start Trek game with this conf file, typing works fine. Logical, captain!