VOGONS

First post, by enex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get Daggerfall working in DOSBox 0.65. I'm running the game through the command fall.exe z.cfg and all I get is a black screen, and I recieve errors in the console if I run the game in a window:

Illegal read from 37eeabe9, CS:IP 560c:37e94b28
Illegal read from 37eeabea, CS:IP 560c:37e94b2a
Illegal read from 37eeabeb, CS:IP 560c:37e94b2a
Illegal read from 37eeabec, CS:IP 560c:37e94b2c
Illegal read from 37eeabed, CS:IP 560c:37e94b2c
Illegal read from 37eeabee, CS:IP 560c:37e94b2e
Illegal read from 37eeabef, CS:IP 560c:37e94b2e

I've made sure that all of the files in my Daggerfall directory are not write-protected (I copied an installation over from a disc). I've also tried all of the graphics outputs and I've disabled sound. Also, "full" is the only CPU setting that works, "dynamic" and "normal" crash DOSBox immediately when I open the game.

Here is my dosbox.conf:

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=true
fullfixed=false
fullresolution=1024x768
output=overlay
hwscale=1.00
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
language=
machine=vga
captures=capture
memsize=60
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=none
core=fulll
cycles=18000
cycleup=500
cycledown=20
nosound=true
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10
mpu401=false
intelligent=true
device=default
config=
type=none
base=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050
gus=none
rate=22050
base=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND
pcspeaker=none
pcrate=22050
tandyrate=22050
disney=true
xms=true
ems=true

Here's my system:

Kubuntu 5.10
AMD 64 3000+
NVidia 6600 AGP 128 MB
ASRock 939DualSATA2
Turtle Beach Riviera
1 GB RAM
Some Maxtor 200 GB IDE drive

I had tried DOSBox 0.63 previously and had similar problems, except I got multicolor snow when I ran the game and Illegal opcode messages in the console window. :x

Has anyone had a similar experience or knows what is going on?

Reply 6 of 15, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

enex, do you notice anything weird with the textures on buildings when in towns? So far that's the only issue I've noticed with DF in 0.65 (other than it being a little bit slow).

Reply 7 of 15, by billoute

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i'm currently re-playing Daggerfall under dosbox 0.65 and didn't noticed anything wrong with textures in town.

the only problem i got, is the incredibly slow performance when using dynamic core....disabling Gravis emu and switching to normal core let me play at a raisonnable speed, enough to have a rather good game experience.

Reply 8 of 15, by enex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I haven't seen any texture oddities in town. The game looks normal and plays a bit slowly (particularly indoors). I've had the best results for Daggerfall using a CVS build with timesync in WinXP. 0.65 doesn't seem to play it as well as 0.63.

I've seen graphic anomalies underneath the cursor sometimes (for instance when a dialog box pops up, there will be a bit of underlying texture on the pointer). Can't remember if that was DOSBox or straight DF + VDMSound.

Reply 9 of 15, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks, looks like it's probably a core=dynamic issue then (I'm running in WinXP). I'll try core=normal and see what happens.

Also, now that billoute mentions it, I remember I wasn't able to get GUS emulation working with DF for some reason. It works fine with Arena.

Update: Autolock seems broken. When running Daggerfall in DOSBox 0.65 in windowed mode, I go to the race selection screen and click on it, and it doesn't autolock the mouse cursor even though autolock=true is set in dosbox.conf.

Also, the game runs much smoother in core=normal. The videos are very very choppy though. I'm going to go to a fixed cycles setting instead of cycles=auto to see if that helps.

Reply 10 of 15, by cantico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

The game runs well until I finish the character creation and it's suposse to start the game. After the video where the emperor speak there is a permanent black screen.

This is my dosbox.conf :

[sdl]

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=openglnb
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

[dosbox]

language=
machine=vga
captures=capture
memsize=16

[render]

frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=none

[cpu]

core=normal
cycles=3500
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

[mixer]

nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]

mpu401=none
device=none
config=

[sblaster]

sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050

[gus]

gus=false
gusrate=22050
gusbase=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]

pcspeaker=false
pcrate=22050
tandy=auto
tandyrate=22050
disney=true

[bios]

joysticktype=none

[serial]

serial1=dummy
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

[dos]

xms=false
ems=false
umb=true

[autoexec]

My pc:

Debian sarge 3.1
512 RAM
intel centrino 1.8 Ghz
Dosbox 0.65

Thanks

Reply 11 of 15, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well for one thing you'll never get the game running with 3500 cycles 😮 Try somewhere in the realm of 20000 and above. Also ems and xms don't need to be disabled, so leave those on for this game.

Reply 12 of 15, by cantico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If I do that the game is even more slow. My intel centrino 1.8 Ghz reaches its 90% of use at 3500 cycles. It's annoying not be able to play the 3D games because my i810 is a crap and also don't be able to play old games because my chip it's too slowly. 🙁 the next time I buy a pc it will have the best or I don't buy 🙄

Anyway, thanks for your time 😀

Reply 13 of 15, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

cantico:

Try using Dynamic Core. Also, what videocard do you have? Try using different output= modes. I would start by using overlay and then ddraw. OpenGL has always given me problems, but it depends on your hardware. Your mileage may vary.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 14 of 15, by windmaker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cantico wrote:
Hi […]
Show full quote

Hi

The game runs well until I finish the character creation and it's suposse to start the game. After the video where the emperor speak there is a permanent black screen.

This is my dosbox.conf :
(...)

Thanks

Ok, I KNOW I am necroing a very old thread, but stay with me. I registered just so I could post this. I was having trouble getting Daggerfall working in Kubuntu with Dosbox and I came across this post. Now, I was having the exact problem, and this is the only reference I could find using google which matched my problem.

I figured out it had to do with this line in my configuration file:

mount c /data/Recreate/Games/Dosgames/games/dagger -freesize 1000

When I changed it to this I got it working:

mount c /data/Recreate/Games/Dosgames/games -freesize 1000

(I omitted the other lines because they're not what was causing this)

So what was the problem? Well this is how I figure... I installed the game using a DIFFERENT mount for C. The mount I used was /games/, but the mount I used to launch Daggerfall was /games/dagger/. I think the daggerfall executable was trying to access c:\dagger\..., but that didn't exist because c:\ WAS c:\dagger.

You ask why did I use two different configurations? Well because I have two configuration files. One for installing and one to launch the game. I do this because I like to copy the CD files onto the HDD and mount em from there. I also did it because I was thinking it might be useful to have a common configration file for when I need to make one for a game.

Also want to add using scaler=advinterp3x helps with the visuals.

Anyway, since I know -I- googled this and found it usefull to know, I just had to register and post this here. Maybe someone else will find my solution useful.

Reply 15 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Using different mounts for installing and playing is one of the top mistakes people do. Sure it works for a lot of games but it burns you for a lot as well.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper