VOGONS

First post, by wpegden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,
I'm trying to get the (cd version) of the xwing (with bwing addon) running under dosbox. It starts up fine, sounds work, cutscenes work, etc. However, when trying to actually "start a mission", it exits with "Divide by zero". I've tried dosbox .65 and dosbox .63. Funny thing is, this game is listed as "supported" in the database. Any suggestions? I've tried varying the cpu cycles over a wide range.

For those familiar with the game, the areas which cause it to crash are "pilot proving ground", "historical combat" and "tour of duty". (These are the parts of the game where you're actually "flying"... the rest is just credits, cutscenes, etc.).

Thanks for any help,
Wes

Reply 3 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would suggest trying normal core (or dynamic or full if you're already using normal)

Also, try unplugging your joystick (if you're using one) to see if that helps.

Playing with DOSBox's memory emulation may also have an effect.

Also, could your installation be corrupt?

Reply 5 of 7, by wpegden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, there were a bunch. I'm trying to get the dos cd version working (with bwing addon). You probably have a windows version. I'm also running linux.. so the windows version wouldn't really be easier for me.

Reply 6 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was first a DOS floppy version, with two optional expansions: Imperial Pursuit and B-Wing.

Then there was a DOS CD-ROM version (possibly two of them? Dunno)

Then there was at least one Windows version.

Personally I prefer the DOS versions because they don't have the annoying loud engine noise, and they use MIDI for the music, resulting in music that takes advantage of my MIDI hardware and that reacts much better to the action. The downside is that it runs in 320x200 instead of 640x480.

Reply 7 of 7, by Cuber

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did anyone figure this out?

I have the same problem with the same game, and also with Tie Fighter Collectors Edition. When the mission is supposed to start, it dumps to DOS with the message "Divide by zero".

I had this working a few months ago, with the exact same config, but I may have updated to a new version of DosBox. I'm currently running v0.65 on Gentoo linux.

I have tried a lot of things with Tie Fighter:
- The three possible cores (dynamic isn't a valid choice here, apparently).
- Cycles from my regular 22000 down to 200.
- Sound disabled both in dosbox and in game.
- With and without joystick.
- I have no idea what loadfix is, but i tried "loadfix tie.exe". Didn't help.

A little side note: DosBox has given me countless hours of fun, so thanks a lot to all the devs and those who help out on the forums. If I get more spare time next semester, I hope I can help out somehow. I'm a programmer, and I love my old dos games. =)