VOGONS

First post, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Blues Brothers: Jukebox Adventures by Titus 1993

The music crackles and pops and seems to be initialized at 8khz !?
I attached a fair use FLAC sample of how it should sound (mod2wav) and a dosbox recording. (latest SVN)

Can't tell if this is normal behavior but I remember it to play proper in the past.
Since I do not own old hardware anymore, I cant test this.

Is this: a bug in the game? , dosbox related? or just my own memory dropping bits ?

Attachments

• Filename
    ALMOST_REC.FLAC
    File size
    820.23 KiB
    Downloads
    2 downloads
    File comment
    Bad
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    ALMOST.FLAC
    File size
    899.27 KiB
    Downloads
    2 downloads
    File comment
    Good
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 3, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried DOSBox, SVN, ECE and X and it behaves the same with default settings.

I also tried using various SB models, and using nuked. But none of that seemed to give any real improvement.

Using core=normal also did not help, but it did help somewhat to drastically lower the cycles value. Still I was not able to eliminate the pops and cracks.

The game lists Adlib and Sound Blaster support, which probably means just Adlib.

Reply 2 of 3, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for testing, but it uses a mod file for music so Adlib is out of the question.
Although it sounds like it. You can use: DIET.EXE -RA ALMOST.MOD to retrieve the original mod file and play it in MOD Master.

What I can't figure out is why the SB is at 8khz as this game was released in 1993.
This has to be a bug.

@keropi: can you take a look on real hardware ?

Reply 3 of 3, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Akuma wrote on 2020-05-21, 08:08:
Thanks for testing, but it uses a mod file for music so Adlib is out of the question. Although it sounds like it. You can use: D […]
Show full quote

Thanks for testing, but it uses a mod file for music so Adlib is out of the question.
Although it sounds like it. You can use: DIET.EXE -RA ALMOST.MOD to retrieve the original mod file and play it in MOD Master.

What I can't figure out is why the SB is at 8khz as this game was released in 1993.
This has to be a bug.

@keropi: can you take a look on real hardware ?

sorry I did not see that request, I was only tipped today about it (send me a pm next time 😀 )
OK so the game is broken. The recording I upload here is from a 486slc33 + SB2.0 CT1350B , the playback has issues, it speeds up and eventually the system locks up.

it's just bad programming in the end.... (also in-game the same playback issues exist)

Attachments

• Filename
    blues2.mp3
    File size
    3.36 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    BB2 CT1350B
    File license
    Public domain

🎵Link to buy a PCMIDI mpu