VOGONS

First post, by marker0077

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First off, I'd like to say that I am new to DOSBox & I find it very useful. I was getting ready to set up a secondary DOS OS on my PC just so I could play some of these games. So far, DOSBox has worked flawlessly for all of them except for 1... Syndicate Wars.

My first question is, does having a FAT32 partition help DOSBox any? I already set up a 10 gig FAT32 partition for setting up a 2ndary OS. I currently keep all of my DOS games there & run DOSBox from that. If there's no point in having this FAT32 partition, I'm going to ditch it.

My second question is, how do I speed up Syndicate Wars. I've tried reading through some of the posted sticky threads on this topic & they suggest I skip frams along with some other ideas, well skipping the frames made the problem even worse. I'd really like to get this thing going in windows because #1 it's a pain to reboot the computer everytime I want to play the game & #2 I have a dual action logitech controller that may or may not work in DOS.

I am also using the D-Fend DOSBox frontend utility & here's the tech specs on my PC...

AMD 64 Athlon, Platinum motherboard, 1024MB RAM, 240 SATA HD, nVidia GeForce 660 GT (128MB RAM).

Thanks for your help in advance.

Reply 1 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

dynamic core should work to make it playable. it's almost playable on a athlon 1800 XP.

Fat32 shouldn't matter. DOSBox doesn't care about the underlying filesystem.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 11, by marker0077

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

tried dynamic core. the game runs fine for the most part except when u get in the actual game, like in the field with ur agents. at that point it becomes slideshow city. I have a 2 gig processor & a gig of ram, I wouldn't think this should be that big of a hurdle.

also, what's loadfix do?

Here's my current config for Syndicate Wars...

[cpu]
cycles=20000
core=dynamic
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

[dosbox]
machine=vga
memsize=63
language=
captures=D:\Program Files\D-Fend\Capture

[sdl]
output=surface
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=false
fullresolution=640x480
hwscale=1.00
autolock=false
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt

[render]
scaler=none
frameskip=0
aspect=false

[sblaster]
type=sb16
base=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050

[gus]
gus=true
rate=22050
base=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=1
dma2=1
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[midi]
mpu401=true
intelligent=true
device=default
config=

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandyrate=22050
Show last 38 lines
disney=true

[dos]
xms=true
ems=false

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[modem]
modem=false
listenport=23
comport=COM2

[directserial]
directserial=false
Comport=COM1
realport=1
defaultbps=1200
parity=N
bytesize=8
stopbit=1

[ipx]
ipx=false

[autoexec]
mount C "N:\" -ioctl
C:
cd\
cd SYNDIC~1\
MAIN.EXE /w /g
exit

Thanks again for everyones time.

No signature

Reply 3 of 11, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That config file is obviously for DOSBox 0.63. You should download the much improved 0.65 version if you haven't done it already (it requires a good bit less CPU power because it's more optimized), and then recreate the config file. After that, you could try different things, for example...

1.) Try output= something else than surface. It depends on your video card and its drivers which one works best.

2.) Try enabling some 320x200 doublescan mode in your video card settings if you can, then use scaler=none.

tearex

Reply 4 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Loadfix is to be used if you have a game that doesn't like the high amount of conventional memory that DosBox has free. Older games do not recognize this higher value and will think it actually has less memory available. You run loadfix to eat up memory so that the game that requires it is happy.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 11, by marker0077

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there another DOS emulator out there that perhaps has faster vid options? I just can't seem to get this thing to go at the right speed.

No signature

Reply 7 of 11, by marker0077

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, it's been awhile but I'm back to give this another try. I'd really appreciate some help here folks...

Qbix
dynamic core should work to make it playable. it's almost playable on a athlon 1800 XP.

Currently I am running an AMD Athlon 3000+ processor, it's clocked at stock speed so that's about 2 gig, I have 2 gig of RAM, the vid card is an nVidia GeForce 6600GT 128MB AGP, Sound Blaster Platinum & I even have a SATA hard drive. not the fastest PC but far from the slowest, I'd say it's at least average.

again, I tried dynamic core, it's playable but the framerate is far from smooth; in-game anyways. again, it runs fine in the menus & whatnot but once you're out in the field & you have your agents to control - it' slideshowie.

I'm not sure if Syndicate Wars is best for extended or expanded memory, I've tried searching on this but came up empty, all I could fine were basic system requirements, nothing more.

Qbix
That config file is obviously for DOSBox 0.63.

I've never had that version, not then, not now. I was new to DOSBox then (still am now, just getting back into it) so I just downloaded it. The only version I have ever had is the 0.65 version & yes I did check the readme file to verify the version, I have 0.65 man.

If anyone has this game running smoothly, please copy & paste or post your config file for me.

Perhaps I should look into some frontends? I prefer setting everything up myself in a batch file, especially considering I use GameEx & I want this to work in conjunction with that. Anyways, any help would be appreciated here guys & gals. Thanks in advance.

No signature

Reply 8 of 11, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> I've never had that version, not then, not now.

This can NOT be. Where did you get that version from? Please re-download
the 0.65 release from the dosbox homepage. Much has changed in-between
those versions, especially speed wise which might affect you.

For dosbox 0.65 set core=dynamic and cycles=auto in dosbox.conf, which
does NOT work for 0.63 and earlier.