VOGONS

First post, by GeneralX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In Quake 1, you can apparently just use a command in the in-game console, but for other games I have no idea.

Wouldn't different CPU cycles and consequently, different game speeds also affect IPX multiplayer?

Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 5, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quake's in-game console does not allow you to set dosbox speed. In any case, for best experience (unless your looking for the original experience for nostalgic reasons) for Quake or Doom you should probably use a source-port instead of an old DOS version.

For speed settings, have a look at the wiki
https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Performance

Reply 4 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is impossible to truly know what the "intended speed" was for many older games, unless perhaps the developers provided the exact specs of their development hardware. There was just too much variation in PC hardware at the time, unless perhaps you go all the way back to the ancient days of the 4.77 MHz IBM XT. People with different computers just wound up having different experiences. All you can do is select a speed that makes you happy.

In any case, even if you do know the exact specifications of the developers' hardware, DOSBox is not intended to be cycle-accurate.

GeneralX wrote on 2020-08-05, 18:18:

Wouldn't different CPU cycles and consequently, different game speeds also affect IPX multiplayer?

If the game is programmed halfway-decently, the netcode will be able to accommodate for different players using different hardware.

GeneralX wrote on 2020-08-06, 23:32:

I'm trying to run Warcraft: Orcs & Humans at 100%, no more, no less.

Considering it is one of the best-known PC games in history, I'm sure someone out there has analyzed the problem in-depth.

Reply 5 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The automatic speed limiter (gameplay speed, not framerate) in Quake does not work correctly in 0.74(-3), but is fixed in SVN.

"vid_wait 1" is an effective workaround, but it can limit the framerate.