VOGONS

First post, by Alteme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I am having a strange issue with running these two games and I was wondering if anyone would give me any guidance. I have actually narrowed the problem down quite a bit, I'm just not sure how to fix it (if I can fix it), so let me explain:

Just a bit of background: I am running Version .74-3 of DOSBox currently. I have windows 3.1 installed just to enable me to play some more windows based games.

I have several commands under the Autoexec in the configuration file, I automatically mount drives C A and D and I have a command to automatically open windows 3.1.

When I attempt to play Civilization II, the game will load, and it has limited functionality. I can create a new game, however, I am not able to load a game, start on a premade world, or begin a scenario. If I attempt to click on one of these options, the screen will go black and the last sound will just play repeatedly through my speakers until I quit DOSBox.

However, through tinkering, I found that if I block all of the commands under Autoexec and just mount everything manually when I load Dosbox, then the game will load just fine with complete functionality. I cant figure it out. I tried loading the game with only one Autoexec command, but no matter what the command is, the game will not fully function if there is anything under Autoexec.

Does anyone know why this might be? It seems like such a strange problem to me. Basically, if I mount all of my commands manually when I load DOSBox, the game will work perfectly, but if I use Autoexec, the game will load but will freak out if I click on certain options in game.

I'm not too concerned if there isn't a fix for this, I am just thankful to be able to play my favorite games, but it seems so strange to me and I don't know why the game would be sensitive to commands under Autoexec in the DOSBox configuration file.

Thanks!!

Reply 1 of 1, by Alteme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So it seems that the game will accept commands, except it doesn't seem to like when I mount an A drive!? I'm not sure why that is. If I mount C and D I'm fine, but A is apparently a drive the game doesn't like.