VOGONS

First post, by bitweever

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I downloaded DOSBox, installed Windows 3.1, got it running, and even did some printing (by saving the job to a file and printing it on Mac OS X). I'd like to run Windows 3.1 at a higher resolution, but I've tried the SuperVGA and XGA modes, but Windows wouldn't boot with those settings.

So, does anyone know what video settings I could use on a 15" G4 PowerBook (with the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 chipset)?

Is there a difference between the resolution settings I could use if it runs in a window vs if it runs fullscreen?

Does anyone remember how to recover Windows 3.1 from a bad video setting?

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 7, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> Does anyone remember how to recover Windows 3.1 from a bad video setting?

run setup in the windows dir and change it back.

1+1=10

Reply 4 of 7, by bitweever

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found out how to run in enhanced mode from this post (in case anyone else runs across this problem).

I get it to boot now, but all bitmaps are jumbled. This happens on small font, large font, windowed, or fullscreen.

Last edited by bitweever on 2006-11-09, 08:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

type ems false
before starting windows

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 7, by bitweever

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

type ems false
before starting windows

Yup, found that, so I edited my post (see above). I searched for this new issue, but couldn't find anything.

Reply 7 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I edited the guide on how to run Windows 3.1x a bit to point out to not run dynamic core in Dosbox 0.65, how to setup graphics drivers and how tohandle it if the setup crashes because of too many graphics drivers 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper