VOGONS

First post, by iamtheman83

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I’m not exactly sure what part of DosBox setup you’re unsure of, but this is what I can suggest from the info you posted:

You should install DosBox into the default path c:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.65\

It’s a good idea to make a backup copy of 'dosbox.conf' - so you have a separate file named, 'copy of dosbox.conf' so there is a master from which a clean slate can be obtained if needed.

Try using a front end like, D-Fend - an easy way in which to create multiple configfiles for games in order to save having to manually change the only configfile for DosBox with every application.

Burn that .ISO onto disc because I haven't the foggiest on how to mount it in DosBox without going to the trouble of using a program like Deamon Tools.

Coincidently, I have just downloaded this game too - probably from the same source. So I've got the tweaking down pat.

For optimum performance, ensure you are using DosBox version 0.65. Find the following sections in the DosBox configfile and change them to:

core=dynamic
cycles=auto
cycleup=500
cycledown=500

*note that using D-Fend, you cannot set the cycles to ‘auto’ even with DosBox version 0.65.

Okay, once you have burned the .ISO, mount your CD by adding this line under this section of the DosBox configfile:

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.

mount d d:\ -t cdrom
*(depending on your CD drive letter of course)

You should also mount a directory as opposed to a naked drive letter for your games, so create a folder such as, 'Games' in Windows and add the following line under this section of the DosBox configfile:

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.

mount c c:\games\

Install the game so it will end up in c:\games\regret\

Configure sound, movie size and what not.

After that, it should run without any problems.

*Setting the cycles to ‘auto’ is a personal preference as movies will be a little jittery for a few seconds before the speed is adjusted – and the sound will loop for a fraction occasionally. Of course, gameplay is very smooth. However, a predetermined setting of say, 30000 will suffice overall.

Hope this helps…

Reply 1 of 2, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's no need to make a backup copy of dosbox.conf A "clean" copy of dosbox.conf can be generated by typing in "config -wc dosbox.conf" within dosbox. Just make sure that you delete your previous dosbox.conf before doing this.

Also .ISO's can be mounted by typing in "Imgmount d c:\games\game.iso -t cdrom" in DosBox.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 2, by iamtheman83

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah! Thanks for that .ISO mounting info.

Can I mount an .NRG (Nero Disc Image) too or must I first convert it into .ISO?