VOGONS

First post, by vitox32

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone. I just registered on this website to make this post, on this specific thread.
I too had input lag issues with Prince of Persia 2 on DOSBox, AND I FIXED IT!
Here it goes. On DOSBox config file, find and change the lines to it:
core=auto
cycles=max

*note: sometimes using "core=dynamic" will further improve emulation performance, but cause another issues (like soundcard incompatibility). So you would need to try the best config for you, but the above should probably already work.

*note2: I also prefer to alter the output type (but you would also try what works best for you):
output=openglnb

About my journey: I too used to play this game on 90s, and I ruled it! Now with DOSBox, there was so much input lag that I was dying even with easy enemies. Even thought that could be me, whom was not so young anymore (since it has been at least 10years I don't play this game).
I was brought to this very thread by Google, and was not satisfied with the idea of "the game is like that". I do not accept it!
So, after lot of research and experiments, I end up with the fix above.
Registered here, just to post this fix, hoping it helps everybody on this thread and also new people who happens to be brought here by Google like me.

Additional information:
The fix above should do the trick. It also will solve a great number of performance issues for a lot of other games!
I'm running on a Windows 7 Pro, i7 6700k 4.2GHz, 32GB DDR4, DOSBox version 0.74-3 . To me, it solved the horrible lag on input on Prince of Persia 2, and also the loading time from one screen to another (it some times took seconds to update the screen when you walk from one screen to another. With this, it's instantly!).

Reply 1 of 3, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vitox32 wrote on 2021-07-17, 06:58:

Additional information:
The fix above should do the trick. It also will solve a great number of performance issues for a lot of other games!

Please note that using max cycles might actually cause additional problems with some games, because it makes DOSBox emulate as many CPU cycles as permitted by the host machine's CPU. With a powerful PC, it might be way too many.

I just checked the demo of PoP2 (I don't have the full game). It's a real-mode programme so by default, DOSBox runs it at 3000 cycles. I haven't noticed any input lags, but you could up the cycle count to some 6000 to get closer to a theoretical 386.

I do remember trying to run the full game in an old DOSBox build a very long time ago (like about fifteen years), and there were graphical glitches that could be fixed by disabling XMS, but I'm not sure if this has not been solved in DOSBox code, so maybe you don't have to disable XMS now to avoid them.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 2 of 3, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't recall having such an issue with PoP2 in DOSBox. However, since most of my games are not speed-sensitive, and since I want to use the same DOSBox configuration (as much as possible) on all my setups, I tend to run with core=auto and cycles=max.

For the game that have issues with cycles=max, I use a batch file which manually sets cycles to whatever value I experimentally found as suitable, runs the game, then sets it to max again.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 3, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2021-07-18, 17:26:

since I want to use the same DOSBox configuration (as much as possible) on all my setups, I tend to run with core=auto and cycles=max

Max cycles worked well for me on the old PC, but now it'd be way too fast for many games, even if not causing any other glitches.

My default setting is

cycles=auto 7800 75% limit 26800

with the values taken from DOSBox Wiki, albeit now I'm more inclined to use cycle equivalent values that DOSBox-X specifies (which would be 6075 for ~386DX 33 MHz and 23880 for ~486DX 66 MHz).

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games