VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
skitters wrote:
On a Windows computer with an MT-32 attached, using v r c27 z in the wingcmdr.cfg (for MT-32 sound) produces both music and SF […]
Show full quote

On a Windows computer with an MT-32 attached, using
v r c27 z
in the wingcmdr.cfg (for MT-32 sound) produces both music and SFX when the MT-32 is turned on,
however there is no sound at all when the MT-32 is turned off.

If the game always uses Adlib for SFX, then why would there be no SFX when the MT-32 was turned off?
It seems to me the game is using either Adlib for all sound or MT-32 for all sound, depending on whether you have
v r c27 z
or
v a 904 z
in the wingcmdr.cfg file.

Or is there another explanation?
I assume the "r" in v r c27 z means "Roland MT-32" while the "a" in v a 904 z means Adlib.
But I wonder what the c27 and 904 mean.
or the 552 in v a552 z (which seems to do the same thing as v a 904 z)

What *does* the c27 mean?

a904 means "Adlib port 904", where 904 decimal is well-known 388 hex.

552 doesn't sound right, as it converts to 228. I know Sound Blaster uses 220 hex, which would be 544 decimal.

Reply 21 of 22, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
HunterZ wrote:

What *does* the c27 mean?

Maybe it's nonsense that causes the game to use its default. Does 816 for port 0x330 work there?

HunterZ wrote:

552 doesn't sound right, as it converts to 228. I know Sound Blaster uses 220 hex, which would be 544 decimal.

0x228 is where the FM registers are when the SB has a base port of 0x220, and the game thinks it's talking to an Adlib rather than an SB.

Reply 22 of 22, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wrote this up a while ago:

You have two choices: […]
Show full quote

You have two choices:

a) Search the Internet for the game and nick the missing INSTALL.EXE
b) edit WINGCMDR.CFG (For Wing Commander and Secret Missions 1) or CRUSADE.CFG (for Secret MISSIONS 2) as per list below:

!! If the Secret Missions 1 don't work anymore (you get a black screen with white text telling you that Secret Missions 1 is not installed, this is because the INSTALL.EXE (if you used this), or you, didn't add the z at the end. The z indicates that Secret Missions 1 is installed. !!

Sound options for WINGCMDR.CFG and CRUSADE.CFG

No Sound:
v z

PC Speaker:
v p z

Adlib: or Sound Blaster: The game does not offer digital sound effects or speech, just FM sounds and music.
v a904 z

Roland MT-32:
v r z

YouTube, Facebook, Website