VOGONS

First post, by kite18

User metadata

i am trying to run major stryker in dosbox version 0.62 with d-fend v2. the game works, the sound works but the keyboard doesnt work that well. the highligter on the menu screen where you select new game, load game, options, etc is continuously scrolling down. the up key will hold the highlighter in place. the enter key and escape key are the only other keys that work. does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem? thanks for the help
kite

Reply 2 of 15, by bear18

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

im trying to run the game major stryker in dosbox v0.62 with d-fend v2 on windows xp. the keyboard controls arent responding. does anyone know a way to fix this? thanks for the help.

Reply 3 of 15, by bear18

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ive tried running the game in there and the highlighter does the same thing. is there anything i can do to control the keyboard controls and stop the highlighter from scrolling down continuously? thanks for the help!

Reply 4 of 15, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Latest DOSBox version is 0.63 - Time to upgrade.

[Moving to DOSBox Games/Apps section, by the way...]

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 8 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think they look at the compatibility database and if they don't see any entry for DosBox 0.63, they only see the compatibility entry for whatever DosBox ver was used. So they use DosBox 0.61 or 0.62, I have'nt checked the database to see what ver of DosBox is being used for that game.

or they are just extremly lazy and use the DosBox ver that came with their Linux distro....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 15, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I doubt anyone would go out of their way to get an old version, even if they were looking at the compatibility list. The Linux distro thing sounds likely though.

Reply 10 of 15, by scrofts007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As a Newbie and Dosbox virgin, thanks to the board for all it's unofficial help so far.

I'm having the same problems emulating Rayman "Maths and English" - strangely "French with Rayman" seems quite OK, but the former constantly scrolls down in an erratic manner.

Any settings or help gratefully received.

Also I can only get 2 button support for my Gravis 8 button gamepad - 3 button would be OK, but Rayman can only see 2 buttons, even though it supports 4.

Thanks in advance!

Stuart!

Reply 11 of 15, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In other cases, about Linux distros including an older version of Dosbox, perhaps.
In this specific case I think it unlikely. Isn't D-Fend for Windows not Linux?

Another possibility-perhaps older versions being put out on demo disks? I seem to recall seeing a magazine mentioning emulators for older games a few months ago. I believe there was some mention of Dosbox. Never thought to see if Dosbox was on the cd or what version.

Reply 12 of 15, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's another possibility. The main one I'm concerned abou is web sites that host copies of older versions; I'd like to know about them so that I can inform those sites' owners about the newer version so that people won't waste their time on old versions.

Reply 13 of 15, by Joeyxp2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, you don't have to get a new version. I had this problem too when I was playing with 0.63. I think you have to restart the game or press some buttons like escape to stop it from doing that. It can be fixed somehow without updating.

Reply 14 of 15, by bear18

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

how can you fix the keyboard controls? nothing i have tried is working. the highlighter is still continuously scrolling down.

on a side note, does anyone know where i can the actual game of major stryker? my friend gave me a downloaded version. i think that might be the problem and it could have left out some important information pieces like the keyboard controls.

thanks.

Reply 15 of 15, by sebigbos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The keyboard problem can be solved by deleting the file "config.ms".

Starting the program sets up a new config.ms which no longer has the keyboard locking up

Have fun!