VOGONS

First post, by Zork

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, just today I tried to install Microsoft Windows 1.01 under DOSBox. First, I mounted two directories - one to act as a floppy drive and one to act as a hard drive. For the Hard Drive, I just made a WIN101 directory in my DOS_GAMES folder, and for the Floppy Drive, I put the needed floppy files in the DOS_GAMES directory. For example, the contents of Disk #1 were put in a .zip file and I just unzipped that into C:\DOS_GAMES whilst the place where Windows was supossed to install was C:\DOS_GAMES\WIN101. I made it WIN101 instead of WINDOWS just in case it may have interfered with any things in Windows XP.

So, I launch the SETUP program on Disk 1. All seems to go well until it asks me for another floppy. I delete the files in the DOS_GAMES directory and replace it with files from the disk it's asking for. However, there are a few problems. It appears in the WIN101 directory is empty, and some of the display is corrupt. Eventually, it seems to hang and I can't install Windows.

Any ideas as to what is going on here? Would it be possible to install Windows 1.01 via DOSBox?

"You have entered a dark place. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Reply 1 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows 1x-2x are not supported in DosBox and won't be unless someone spends the time to fix them. Considering that they are not games it's doubtful that anyone will bother. Your better off trying Qemu/Bochs/VPC and seeing if Windows 1x-2x work in those.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

i think we know where the problem is in win1.01
but don't feel like fixing it. this may sound odd. but you don't know the size of the fix 😀

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 8, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

i think we know where the problem is in win1.01
but don't feel like fixing it. this may sound odd. but you don't know the size of the fix 😀

This rather typical Qbix response triggers a thought: what if the DOSbox main coders have a list with issues they don't feel like resolving, but of which it is known where the problem lies (as is appearently the case with Win 1.01), so that others can fix the problem and commit a patch? Thus there's mutual benefit.

JAL

Reply 4 of 8, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

This is at least the 3rd time that you write something like that.
To tell it the friendly way: i don't like that. If you want it fixed,
do that yourself, commit a patch or whatever. But don't EVER
bug other people again.

Windows 1.01 doesn't work, that's it. Closing.

Reply 6 of 8, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

(starting a new thread as the previous one is closed for some reason)

wd wrote:

This is at least the 3rd time that you write something like that.

I'm pretty sure I never suggested anything even remotely similar. Of course, you could confuse me with someone else. I dare you to give examples.

wd wrote:

To tell it the friendly way: i don't like that. If you want it fixed, do that yourself, commit a patch or whatever.

Whether you do or do not like anything can be part of a discussion, but it seems to me this is more of a long going frustration for you? The idea behind OS is co-operation, not to do everything yourself without consulting anyone.

wd wrote:

But don't EVER bug other people again.

I cannot remember ever 'bugging' you, although your reaction must make people think I stalked you for quite some time.

wd wrote:

Windows 1.01 doesn't work, that's it. Closing.

Windows 1.01 doesn't work for reasons known to Qbix. I merely suggested a structured way of sharing his knowledge with us. Personally, I don't care about Windows 1.01 (or any other version, for that matter).

JAL

Reply 7 of 8, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

jal, I think it would be most appropriate to use the bug and/or RFE tracker on DOSBox's sourceforge project page to do what you are suggesting.

Well, I guess that could work, as long as these issues would be clearly marked as such in the title. Any developer wanting to fix the bug could leave a comment when starting and finishing (or giving up 😀), and post fixes in the patches section.

JAL