VOGONS

First post, by Zork

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I managed to install Windows 3.1 (not 3.11) onto DOSBox yesterday using my original installation disks. The sound in the DOSBox environment works fine, however, in Windows 3.1, it whines about a sound driver. Is there any way I can fix this? I believe that in the DOSBox.conf file it is possible to set the sound card device to the SoundBlaster 16 card. I also have the original SoundBlaster 16 software. Should I try to install the software onto Windows 3.1 using DOSBox, or is there an alternative solution?

Edit: If the driver solution worked, could I download a driver for a better card such as the AWE32 for playing games in DOSBox via Windows? What would be the best sound card for playing DOS games? Are drivers still available for it?

"You have entered a dark place. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Reply 2 of 4, by Zork

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did the install according to Ian Hawdon's guide. I set the interrupt to seven as the guide told me, but when I try to play a sample in Sound RecorderI get this error. Here are the SB16 settings I set:

Base I/O Address: 220
MIDI Port Address: 330
Interrupt Setting: 7
Low DMA Setting: 1
High DMA Setting: 5

Attachments

• Clipboard01.gif
    Filename
    Clipboard01.gif
    File size
    20.01 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 4, by Zork

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here are my sound settings in the DOSBox .conf file. The sound card settings I set can be read above.

type=sb16
base=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050