VOGONS

The Web Pro Pinball

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

nah I was thinking that maybe the volume label would be supplied as abstract name if there wasn't an abstract name.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 21 of 27, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I have made another version of my patch program that is a bit more refined and friendly. It handles the lack of a parameter more gracefully, and also checks for MSCDEX being installed before it will go resident. MSCDEX is installed in DOSBox when you mount the first CD drive. If you're using the older version to play the Pro Pinball games, I recommend you use this newer one instead. The assembler source is included.

The syntax is still the same: ABSTRACT character_string

I have confirmed the different identifier strings in the 4 Pro Pinball games, and that this patch gets around the "missing CD" error that all of the DOS versions report.

Use an identifier of:

Pro_Pinball_1 for The Web
Pro_Pinball_2 for Timeshock!
Pro_Pinball_3 for Big Race USA
Pro_Pinball_4 for Fantastic Journey

If the MOUNT/IMGMOUNT commands in DOSBox had a -abstract option much like the -label option, that would be great, but I doubt these games alone justify such a feature.

Attachments

• Filename
    ABSTRACT.ZIP
    File size
    1.38 KiB
    Downloads
    1610 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 22 of 27, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

As the stated goal of DOSBox is to play games, and to be good at it, I think the abstract filename thing fits nicely in DOSBox. Whether it should be done by extending the mount commands with an extra parameter, or by including your ABSTRACT.COM in the Z-drive, I don't know.

I am no 86-programmer so I can only go by the comments in the code, but it seems very clear and straightforward to me. And I like that you do the-right-thing by preserving the previous interrupt handler. Should make the program future-proof.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 23 of 27, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Many thanks for looking into this issue people!

My disc has an abstract filename of 'Pro_Pinball' (missing the final '_n') but I have to be honest in that it is a copy of a friend's original disc so I cannot be entirely certain that the source disc has the faulty Abstract Filename as well. What I did found out is that UtraIso is pretty useless for fixing the bin/cue that I made since it will always capitalize the Abstract Filename (even though it is correctly CamelCased in the user interface, go figure 😵 ) and the game-check is case sensitive.

Anyways, all workarounds offered by ripsaw work fine and I'm very happy to play pro pinball once again! ThankYouThankYouThankYou

Reply 25 of 27, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Doesn't matter I loaded the image with ultraISO then selected file>properties and selected "allow lower case" in the file system tab and then slected the Label tab and entered Pro_Pinball_1 next to abstract file then saved the image. Runs great now in Dosbox