VOGONS

First post, by Zork

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I've got a slight problem running Licence to Kill in DOSBox which was released in 1989 and was published by Domark and developed by Quixel. The EGA version seems to work fine without any problems, but when I try playing the CGA version, I only get audio in the game with no video and no control. Does anybody know what I can do to fix this? I've tried running DOSBox in CGA mode to play the game, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Can anybody help me out here?

"You have entered a dark place. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Reply 1 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is this DosBox 0.63 or a CVS ver?

If DosBox 0.63 then that build is very old.

Grab a CVS build from my signature and try your game in that.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 6, by Zork

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I'm using just the 0.63 version of DOSBox. I've looked at the CVS thread, but I can't seem to find anything that might help with a CGA game. I've also tried to get the game working under Windows XP's command prompt but I get the same problems I get in DOSBox. Would this mean I have corrupt files, or?

Reply 3 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

or CGA never worked for that game....hard to say...

The CVS builds have ALOT of fixes for CGA in them.....so you should really check them out.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have only the CGA version but it works perfectly for me under DOSBox 0.63 (even when video mode is set to VGA).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 6, by Zork

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the game came on three 5.25" disks. One was used for CGA and Hercules graphic modes, one was used for EGA graphic modes, and one was used for a Tandy computer. I cannot try the Tandy version of the game as the Tandy diskette cannot be read in an IBM PC 5.25" drive for copying. Here's what I got when testing a few of the CVS builds:

CVS-Compile (aka AEP Emulation) Build
- If ran in CGA, when it asks for a joystick, there seems to be no keyboard input to input Y or N for the question.
- If ran in Hercules, when it asks for a joystick, there seems to be no keyboard input to input Y or N for the question.

ykhwong's (Windows)
- If ran in CGA mode, DOSBox will simply crash when running the game
- Does not run in VGA
- Does not run in EGA
- If ran in Hercules, when it asks for a joystick, there seems to be no keyboard input to input Y or N for the question.

If it helps, here is what it says about compatibility on the back of the box of the game:

Licence to Kill has been tested for use with the following computers and graphics cards:

- IBM PC
- PC XT
- PC XT 286
- PC AT
- PS2 Model 25
- PS2 Model 30
- PS2 Model 50
- Tandy 1000 TL/3000/3000 HL
- Compaq Portable/II/286
- Compaq Deskpro 286/386
- Epson Equity I/II/III
- AT&T 6300/6300 Plus
- Blue Chip BCPC 386
- Leading Edge (not in Hercules mode) Model D/Model M/Model D2
- Zenith 150/160
- PC's Limited 286/Turbo PC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- IBM CGA and 100% Compatibles
- Hercules MDGA and 100% Compatibles
- IBM EGA and 100% Compatibles
- VGA (in EGA mode) Video 7
- Paradise
- ATI
- IBM Model 25 (in CGA mode)/30 (in CGA mode)/Model 50

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- CGA and Hercules Mode require only 384K or more memory

Edit:
Apparently the problem was caused by the copyright protection of the game. Problem solved!

Reply 6 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah. One of those games with keydisk protection. Wouldn't run for me under real ms-dos AT ALL. Thanks DOSBox programmers for it. 😎

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)