VOGONS

First post, by ShinSan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I installed a lot of the old games from the CD set and strangely when I pick one sound card, it plays through another. For example, it'll use adlib when I pick tandy and pc speaker when I pick adlib. Anyone else have a problem? Also, if anyone is using this on a native machine, could you check this for me? This is just weird. Maybe it's some sort of autodetect.

Reply 1 of 4, by ShinSan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oops. I forgot. Most games it works fine. I just noticed it when trying both tandy mode and then checking out vga/sound blaster on pools of darkness.

Pools of Radiance
Curse of the azure bonds
Secret of the Silver Blades

so far work about as advertised.

Reply 4 of 4, by ShinSan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quite possible. It doesn't seem like a DOSBOX issue for sure.

My guess is that this is a revised 1.10 and someone out there in SSI didn't do any backchecking.

Also you need to:

copy *.com *.co_
copy sblaster.co_ tansltl.com
copy sblaster.co_ tanextx.com
copy IBMSND.co_ sblaster.com
del *.co_

After doing that once, you restart DOSBOX and do:

del *.cfg
start

whenever you want to change audio drivers.

The mixed-up tandy driver that sounded like the sound blaster driver jammed the game on both sound blaster sound and adlib sound. I'll update this if I figure out anything else. So far this fixes Adlib, Sound Blaster, and Tandy 1000SL/TL.

Also, there was a side effect. When it had the wrong driver, it would cause the game to crash. I wonder if the 1.0 version of this game had this problem.

Update: The adlib driver that came with the set seems like the correct one. However, there seems to be no PC speaker driver, though I doubt that this is a major issue to anyone here. So it's either Sound Blaster, Adlib, or Tandy 1000 SL, which isn't too bad.