VOGONS

First post, by Base

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to install "The Legend of Kyrandia Book 3" using DOSBox, but... it's not working.

First, since it worked with books 1 and 2, I tried ignoring DOSBox entirely, and just installing the game like any regular program. I got pretty far, but when I clicked on "install.exe" I started having problems:

When asked to choose a directory to save it to, the default is "C:/WESTWOOD/MALCOLM" so I went with that. But then it told me that "C:/WESTWOOD/MALCOLM" wouldn't work for some reason (I forget, sorry, but I don't think it matters now) and that "WESTWOOD.001" could not be found, and that the unpacking program for the file could not run . Then it closed. So I tried it under "C:/GAME/MALCOLM" which is where the program is saved. Same thing, despite the fact that "WESTWOOD.001" is most definitely in /game/malcolm.

So, next I tried it with DOSBox. I succesfully mounted "C:/game/malcolm" using the command:

mount d: c:/game/malcolm -t cdrom -ioctl

Every set of instructions I have read tells me to next install the program, but I don't know how on earth to do that. I typed in "install" and "install.exe" and it just said "Illegal command."

Please help me.

London bridge is safe and sound.

Reply 2 of 4, by choobs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, first off, based on the path you put, (\game\malcolm) I'm assuming you got the game off HOTU or some similar site, like I did, so if you didn't, this may not apply.

Delete the Westwood directory that got created the last time you tried to do this. We'll be starting from scratch. I turned the entire "game" directory into an ISO. I don't think you have to do this, but I did. Anyway, load up dos box, and mount your real c: drive to the c in dosbox. Mount the "game" directory (or the image of it if you made one like me) using the -t cdrom function. I was only able to get this to work on the d drive, I think the game may have that drive letter hardcoded...

Now, run the install program on the "CD" and let it install to westwood\malcolm directory, and also let it autodetect the sound card (it found the Gravis Ultra for me) and benchmark the video and all that. After that, it should work fine, but that "game" directory has to be mounted as the D drive at all times.

Give that a try and let us know how it goes.

Reply 4 of 4, by VictimOfScience

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

At the risk of being a pain and sounding foolish, could you spell out what exact commands you could, say, add to the end of the DosBox cfg file that would allow me to do what you just said? Mounting the c to C: is not allowed and I am confused as to the rest. I would love to play this without the darn disc in the drive all the time, so your help would be apprciated very greatly! Thanks!